Did I just hurt my chicken with permethrin 10?!?

She probably is still showing symptoms since the dosage was a little over twice as potent as it should have been. Also, she may have gotten more than the usual 15 ml/1/2 ounce that is sprayed on. In the future, I would use the permethrin garden dust. I think she probably will recover over more time. Do you have a dust bath for her? It might help to help her dust bathe and it may help to wear off some of the residue. Permethrin overdosage does cause neurological problems as well as other more serious respiratory issues, but the exposure through the skin is usually less dangerous. Here is some reading:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK231556/

She probably is still showing symptoms since the dosage was a little over twice as potent as it should have been. Also, she may have gotten more than the usual 15 ml/1/2 ounce that is sprayed on. In the future, I would use the permethrin garden dust. I think she probably will recover over more time. Do you have a dust bath for her? It might help to help her dust bathe and it may help to wear off some of the residue. Permethrin overdosage does cause neurological problems as well as other more serious respiratory issues, but the exposure through the skin is usually less dangerous. Here is some reading:
If the dustbathing idea doesn't work, and she doesn't decline worse, wouldn't a warm Epsom Salt bath for just 5 minutes, then a gentle blow dry help her? I have never faced anything like this and wouldn't want to risk my hen, but I believe if dustbathing is out, I'd turn to the bath. Anything to get what's still on her off of her.

Last night when the chicken became so sick and weak, and maybe shocks, we didn’t want to stress her further with a bath or soak. Since she isn’t all back to normal yet, I would still be afraid to get her wet again. But that is up to the OP. If I was soaking her, I would only use plain water to get the permethrin off. Please keep us aware of how she is doing.

Thank you so much for the link! Ugh I just feel terrible. I’m wondering if it would hurt to soak her in warm water to get the excess off or even Epson salt? I don’t want to hurt her more though . But I can still smell the permethrin on her. I hate for her to smell that.

If the dustbathing idea doesn't work, and she doesn't decline worse, wouldn't a warm Epsom Salt bath for just 5 minutes, then a gentle blow dry help her? I have never faced anything like this and wouldn't want to risk my hen, but I believe if dustbathing is out, I'd turn to the bath. Anything to get what's still on her off of her.
I was wanting to get that off her. She’s barely walking around. I can try a dust bath but I don’t think she will be interested. I can still smell the permethrin on her so I don’t like that.

Last night when the chicken became so sick and weak, and maybe shocks, we didn’t want to stress her further with a bath or soak. Since she isn’t all back to normal yet, I would still be afraid to get her wet again. But that is up to the OP. If I was soaking her, I would only use plain water to get the permethrin off. Please keep us aware of how she is doing.
That’s what I’m worried about. I already feel bad enough. I don’t want to make things worse but at the same time I don’t like that I can still smell the permethrin.

That’s what I’m worried about. I already feel bad enough. I don’t want to make things worse but at the same time I don’t like that I can still smell the permethrin.
Just try putting her in a dustbath bin or place for a few minutes first and see if she will. You don't know yet if that might work or not and would be the least shocking to her.

My wanting to turn to the Epsom salt bath was IF the dustbath didn't work. But @Eggcessive is right, just make it plain warm water.

Just try putting her in a dustbath bin or place for a few minutes first and see if she will. You don't know yet if that might work or not and would be the least shocking to her.

My wanting to turn to the Epsom salt bath was IF the dustbath didn't work. But @Eggcessive is right, just make it plain warm water.
She wanted nothing to do with the dirt I had in the brooder so I took her outside to her favorite dust bathing spot. She didn’t want to bathe but she did pooped then laid down in the dirt/grass. This is the first time since the soak that’s she laid down. I may just let her stay here for a bit and watch her. She’s been standing and almost falling when she’s sleeping all night. I think I may wait for the soak. I’m just too worried about wetting her again right now.

Attachments

• IMG_8046.jpeg
    IMG_8046.jpeg
    963.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8047.jpeg
    IMG_8047.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8048.jpeg
    IMG_8048.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom