DIY chicken feeder

Lulu-vt

Songster
Jun 19, 2024
Northern Vermont
I was so excited to make this. It wasn’t perfect but seemed to work like I imagined. Except, my chickens are so messy! They fling the food sideways out of the opening and shovel it onto the floor. Ugh. What a mess and waste.
I really like this idea though. I don’t want to spend a bunch of money on something fabulous.
What can I do to remedy this situation? I’d love to add a “lip” or something so they don’t make a mess. Maybe it’s the angle? Not sure. Thoughts?

The left one has a slightly larger hole so I tried filling it with caulk and glue. It didn’t work to stabilize the pvc but it doesn’t seem to be going anywhere so that’s good. But that’s what all the brown stuff is.

Attachments

• IMG_7287.jpeg
    IMG_7287.jpeg
    784.4 KB · Views: 25
I found a pvc piece at Home Depot that I use as a cover that prevents this. You could see if you can find one that could fit yours. I don’t have a photo handy but if you go to my coop page and scroll down there’s a picture. Good luck! It’s so frustrating when they don’t work as expected.

I have one girl that always pulls pellets out of the feeder, drops it on the ground and then eats it. :confused:

Other than that, I used about 1/3 of a PVC cap glued to the bottom part of the opening. That significantly reduces the waste.

Something like this.

Back
Top Bottom