Do anybody else's turkeys love to eat dog food?

luckyclucker

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 6, 2008
nm
These two undernourished turkeys somebody just dropped off at our place went nuts when they found our dog bowls. They were gulping it down like crazy. They have 24/7 access to proper food but really like the dog food. It seems like a shame to not give it to them, as they are so skinny. Think it's a bad idea? My other 3 turkeys can't be bothered to eat it when they see it.

My turkey is not old enough to be out of the brooder yet, but my chickens LOVE the dog food. They come running to the front porch every morning and chase off the dog if he is there.
lau.gif
. He knows better than to mess with them.

My turkey drinks lots of water during the summer and does not really like her cracked corn. Whenever I go into the storage room to get dog food for our two labs, she goes nuts!!!! She paces the fence and makes lots of turkey noises. I felt bad, so I threw a handful of the Purina dog food into her pen; she picked it up and wanted more. Since then she refuses to eat her cracked corn and only wants the dog food. I don't know what to do because I don't want to just give her the dog food. I know it has a lot of oil and I don't want to make her sick. Is there any other kind of turkey food that might taste like dog food to her but won't be as bad for her as the dog food?!?

My turkey drinks lots of water during the summer and does not really like her cracked corn. Whenever I go into the storage room to get dog food for our two labs, she goes nuts!!!! She paces the fence and makes lots of turkey noises. I felt bad, so I threw a handful of the Purina dog food into her pen; she picked it up and wanted more. Since then she refuses to eat her cracked corn and only wants the dog food. I don't know what to do because I don't want to just give her the dog food. I know it has a lot of oil and I don't want to make her sick. Is there any other kind of turkey food that might taste like dog food to her but won't be as bad for her as the dog food?!?

You're only feeding your turkey cracked corn???????????????? If so, the poor turkey is probably hungry and needs more protein. Feeding only cracked corn is not a good source of a healthy diet for any bird. What other feed is at your feed store. Mine get 20 - 20% protein. I supply cracked corn on occasions.

Contact your local feed store and see what they have on had for turkeys. I feed my turkeys FlockRaiser Pellets (20% protein).

So far I have read that its acceptable, but not suitable, to feed dog food to Emu, chickens, turkeys, and ducks. I think I could save a ton of money if this is the case. It seems to me as dogfood would be more filling to them than nibbling on pellets and scratch. So essentially I would be feeding less of the dog food than all the scratch and grain they scatter about and waist. I would like to try it for a time. However if anyone has any suggestions on other additives needed or information on too high of protein and such, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks all. BYC is the best!

Back
Top Bottom