Do broody ducks actually build nests?

RiversideFlock

Chirping
Jul 1, 2024
South Dakota, USA
My Coop
My Coop
Hi there, fellow duck parents! I was wondering about my female Pekin duck. She's about 3-4 months old, and she's maturing quickly. We do have male ducks, so I think it's best to assume that she will most likely go broody at some point. (Don't worry, I monitor them carefully every day, and if I see any signs of mating aggression between male and female, they're immediately separated.) I do have chickens, and it's my first time owning ducks. I was wondering if ducks actually build themselves nests to sit in and raise their eggs, or if they'll just sit anywhere like chickens?

Hi there, fellow duck parents! I was wondering about my female Pekin duck. She's about 3-4 months old, and she's maturing quickly. We do have male ducks, so I think it's best to assume that she will most likely go broody at some point. (Don't worry, I monitor them carefully every day, and if I see any signs of mating aggression between male and female, they're immediately separated.) I do have chickens, and it's my first time owning ducks. I was wondering if ducks actually build themselves nests to sit in and raise their eggs, or if they'll just sit anywhere like chickens?
Mine usually make an indention in the thick pine bedding on the floor and make their nest. When the broody bug hits them.

What Miss Lydia & JacinLarkwell said.

Some will build nests even if they aren’t broody, though. They may also go broody even if there’s no males, or no eggs to brood on.

I’m a little confused about the chickens, though. Do they not build nests?

Some will build nests even if they aren’t broody, though. They may also go broody even if there’s no males, or no eggs to brood on.

My chickens use nest boxes for their nesting.

It depends for chickens. This last hatch I had an Orpington decide to make a nest out of rocks. Yes rocks. Never mind the shavings, the leftover horse hay that was piled on the ground or the nice comfy nesting boxes. A feather rock nest she built! So we had to make a compromise. I filled a small plastic wash tub I had with some bedding then removed her feathers from her rock nest, topped the new nest, added the eggs she was setting and then set the wash tub directly on top of her rock nest. She agreed to stay there🤣

Mine sometimes will play at it, but most just seem to go to a flat, dark corner

I'm always amazed at the amount of feathers my Muscovy hens yank out of themselves. They sneak off and hide in a corner of the barn with bare ground and no straw and pull out enough fluff to build another duck!
Oh yes my Muscovy do the same and you can't even tell any feathers are missing from them lol

Thank you for the duck info! My chickens nest in nesting boxes, so they really have no need. However, we don't provide our ducks with nesting boxes, because they already have plenty of straw and other places to nest in. Our chickens are a bit lazy, however, and the least they'll do is sit in one certain spot in the cedar chips inside their coop until it makes a small indent, that's all.

Back
Top Bottom