Do I need to quarantine for the coccidiosis

Amc29

Songster
5 Years
Feb 20, 2019
SW Oregon
I unexpectedly lost a chick yesterday morning. I suspected coccidiosis because I spotted a bunch of bloody stool. I started the rest of the three and a half week old chicks on Corid, and this morning spotted more of the stool (this time it very obviously appeared to be coccodiosis). All the chicks are acting normally, but I did spot one that seemed to be perhaps a little more puffed up and she just looks a little more suspect (still eating and drinking, though). I isolated her for the moment, but my question is if they are all being treated and they have all already been exposed, is the separation necessary? I don't mind taking care of her in a separate box, but I know she doesn't care for it much. Thanks in advance!

and treat all of them

Corid dosage chart.jpg

Thank you for the responses. They are back together and all being treated. I am just unsure of how they were exposed to it in the first place. Hopefully I don't lose any more.

Thank you for the responses. They are back together and all being treated. I am just unsure of how they were exposed to it in the first place. Hopefully I don't lose any more.
It is in the environment and the cysts increase if there is moisture.

It is in the environment and the cysts increase if there is moisture.
I guess I understood incorrectly about exposure. I thought they generally only picked it up if they were ever outside. Since they have been in our guestroom, I didn't realize the exposure was still there.

I guess I understood incorrectly about exposure. I thought they generally only picked it up if they were ever outside. Since they have been in our guestroom, I didn't realize the exposure was still there.
In a way that is true. However, the protozoa can be brought in on shoes or any equipment that had been outside. Like feeders, water founts, etc..
There only needs to be one oocyst consumed by one bird. It is burst in the gizzard releasing 8 new protozoa and then new oocysts are shed in the feces. If the bedding has any moisture, in no time from more consumption and excretion, there will be millions of oocysts depending on the coccidia species. Some grow and reproduce much faster than others.

Last edited:
In a way that is true. However, the protozoa can be brought in on shoes or any equipment that had been outside. Like feeders, water founts, etc..
There only needs to be one oocyst consumed by one bird. It is burst in the gizzard releasing 8 new protozoa and then new oocysts are shed in the feces. If the bedding has any moisture, in no time from more consumption and excretion, there will be millions of oocysts depending on the coccidia species. Some grow and reproduce much faster than others.
Thank you for that information. There was a waterer that had been outside and I only gave it a light cleaning. In the future I will try to be much more thorough!

Thank you for that information. There was a waterer that had been outside and I only gave it a light cleaning. In the future I will try to be much more thorough!
I get them using a nipple water fountain as soon as possible. It really helps!

I get them using a nipple water fountain as soon as possible. It really helps!
I didn't even realize the nipple water fountains even existed until last year. Is there much training involved with them? I have had chickens most of my life and kept using the same watering system that my parents used...familiarity and habit, I suppose. I am open to using a different watering system, though. Is it very difficult for adult chickens to figure it out (I would like to be able to deliver the option of a clean watering system that the ducks don't muck up once our seasonal creek has dried up)?

Back
Top Bottom