Do you think it’s important to raise and socialize your own chicks?

I'm confused as to why you came into this thread to claim other people are wrong and then linked some guys thoughts on hormones. I'm a professional falconer who trains wild animals and I have owned chickens for three decades too. No need to come in and pretend everyone else is dumb except you.
This is a public forum, people are allowed to express their opinions and disagree sometimes.

Some of us have been raising baby chicks for going on two decades or more, and we've made much different observations and conclusions than the last two posters.
I free range my chickens and so I don't want them thinking that humans are chickens. Human-raised chickens will walk directly up to the neighbor's front door. Broody-raised avoid all humans except the ones they know. Similarly only human imprinted roosters have been human aggressive in my experience

Not all situations are equal. I'm sure some people can raise human-imprinted docile coopfowl that function fine. I doubt a human imprinted, imprisoned silkie hen would cause any problems

I free range my chickens and so I don't want them thinking that humans are chickens. Human-raised chickens will walk directly up to the neighbor's front door. Broody-raised avoid all humans except the ones they know.
Does this mean the chickens think that humans are chickens too?
Or does it just mean they are not afraid of humans?

Chickens that have never seen a lawn mower will panic the first time they see & hear one, but chickens that are used to a lawn mower will just ignore it. The chickens do not think the mower is a chicken (based on how they act) but don't get scared and run away.

I have also seen human-raised chickens that are scared of unfamiliar humans, so broody-raised ones are not the only chickens that can distinguish familiar humans from other humans.

If you are saying that the method of raising is the only thing to make those differences, I think you are wrong. I will happily agree that method of raising could be one factor, just not the only factor.

I just wanted to update that we went and got our chicks. I just couldn’t get over this nagging feeling that I needed to get them. When I arrived, one didn’t make it. I won’t get into that. I’m really upset.

She decided to keep hers and didn’t want to give us the couple we discussed, anyway. We ended up being able to round out our flock elsewhere at a local hatchery that a friend used, she came with me and helped me get all set up.

The others are here and they are ok, hiding under the brooder and cheeping slowly and happily.

Our coop and run is going to be ready early May when they’ll be ready to go out. They’re warm and safe in our basement bedroom.

We have 1 silkie, 1 EE, 1 Lavender Orpington, 1 Australorp, 1 Black Copper Marans, 1 Welsummer/cream legbar mix (Olive egger), and 1 leghorn

The one we lost was a Silkie.

Attachments

• BBFE4365-3B81-4C0C-BCB6-BC43998546AB.jpeg
    BBFE4365-3B81-4C0C-BCB6-BC43998546AB.jpeg
    704.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 45C60E16-9A97-472F-B9CC-61DD228250F4.jpeg
    45C60E16-9A97-472F-B9CC-61DD228250F4.jpeg
    542 KB · Views: 2
  • 84F6F54C-D94E-4F72-AE03-099DBF1EFF03.jpeg
    84F6F54C-D94E-4F72-AE03-099DBF1EFF03.jpeg
    598.3 KB · Views: 2
We have 1 silkie, 1 EE, 1 Lavender Orpington, 1 Australorp, 1 Black Copper Marans, 1 Welsummer/cream legbar mix (Olive egger), and 1 leghorn

The one we lost was a Silkie.
Adorable chicks! I'm glad you were able to get more. We have some Australorps. My husband loves them. We have Maran chicks right now. They are so cute with their little feather feet

Adorable chicks! I'm glad you were able to get more. We have some Australorps. My husband loves them. We have Maran chicks right now. They are so cute with their little feather feet
Thank you! The feet are the only way I can tell her apart from the Australorp!

We got the Australorp for how well they lay. I’ve always wanted a Marans. I’ve been researching chickens for over 10 years and we finally have been able to make it happen. I had always planned to buy pullets so I never really researched the chick process.

I’m glad I decided to take them home. I really did want the experience of raising them.

The advantage of raising your
Sexing chicks is something that needs to be left to professionals or they can really be hurt badly. Unless you are referring to an autosexing/sex-link breed and that just takes a little practice.

We prefer to raise our own for all the reasons @azygous mentioned. And if you have kids, it's a beautiful learning experience.

As far as adding more hens later - yes. You would have to do slow intros later, but you will have to do that with any new birds no matter the age.
I would never vent sex, I’m not qualified and wouldn’t want to hurt them doing it. I meant more by noticing other characteristics. I know nothing is really 100% until they lay or don’t.

Thank you! The feet are the only way I can tell her apart from the Australorp!

We got the Australorp for how well they lay. I’ve always wanted a Marans. I’ve been researching chickens for over 10 years and we finally have been able to make it happen. I had always planned to buy pullets so I never really researched the chick process.

I’m glad I decided to take them home. I really did want the experience of raising them.
It's well worth the effort. We are in the middle of our first hatch right now. One hatched last night and expecting the other 5 any time. I love raising chicks too.
That's also why David wanted Australorps. Our first batch turned out to be 9 roosters. So I prefer auto sexing breeds. But Australorps are great birds. Beautiful plumage, wonderful temperments and lots of eggs.

We were gonna start with pullets till we saw how pricey that was

Back
Top Bottom