Does this look like an egg from a new layer?

GlicksChicks

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 11, 2024
Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas
Today I went into my coop to add 2 more new nesting boxes because my hens are being stubborn and 3 are trying to go broody at the same time. (I am going to break them as soon as my dog cage is free.) They are not taking up all of the nesting boxes but they seem to be taking the favorites.

All my older hens will be a year in August.

I have 12 young pullets, 15-16 weeks old tomorrow(My BO and Golden Sexlink pullets are about a week older than the ones I hatched).
I have Buff Orpingtons, Golden Sexlinks, Black Copper Maran×Buckeye Mixes, and Silver Laced Wyandotte×Buckeye mixes. The egg seems to light to be a BCM mix chick.

The egg on the left is the one in question compared to 2 others I got this morning.
20240630_092945.jpg

It is also lumpy and weird, but the shell is not soft at all.
20240630_093109.jpg

Here is an up close comparison (It is on the right)
20240630_093053.jpg

Attachments

• 20240630_093037.jpg
    20240630_093037.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 4
I would say new eggs can be quite unpredictable. I've had some that look perfectly normal, couple of fart eggs, some double yolkers. I think it could be a new layer's egg for sure. I did get an egg that looked somewhat like that from my White Leghorn when she first started laying. Do the older ones live together with the pullets? Occasionally older hens do lay odd eggs once in a while, could be one of those too. :)

I would say new eggs can be quite unpredictable. I've had some that look perfectly normal, couple of fart eggs, some double yolkers. I think it could be a new layer's egg for sure. I did get an egg that looked somewhat like that from my White Leghorn when she first started laying. Do the older ones live together with the pullets? Occasionally older hens do lay odd eggs once in a while, could be one of those too. :)
They all live in the same coop. I definitely know they can be unpredicatable, even when hens are laying for a while.

I grabbed the egg out of the box and went "Oh! I think we have a new egg layer!"

I checked the vents of one of the orpingtons and the 2 sexlinks and none look like they have started laying. The sexlinks are supposed to be the soonest of my young ones, the soonest they can lay is 16 weeks and they are getting pretty close to that.

Personally am not too familiar with the vent method, in my experience the laying young pullets squat when you approach them. And they start the "egg cluck" - probably there is a better name for it that I'm not aware of. If not a new layer this time, perhaps next time! Or some other time soon... :)

Personally am not too familiar with the vent method, in my experience the laying young pullets squat when you approach them. And they start the "egg cluck" - probably there is a better name for it that I'm not aware of. If not a new layer this time, perhaps next time! Or some other time soon... :)
The Sexlinks should be soon! I am thinking maybe an odd egg from an older pullet. No obvious signs of any young ladies laying!

We’re up to our eyeballs in weird eggs around here (14 young quail hens) and that looks like something I pulled out of the pen the other day! I’m also glad I’m not the only one who uses the ‘bird has laid egg’ vent check method (very handy in non-feather sexable quail): the vent gets very flabby/floppy maybe a little almost hemorrhoid/prolapse looking compared to a non layer vent.

We’re up to our eyeballs in weird eggs around here (14 young quail hens) and that looks like something I pulled out of the pen the other day! I’m also glad I’m not the only one who uses the ‘bird has laid egg’ vent check method (very handy in non-feather sexable quail): the vent gets very flabby/floppy maybe a little almost hemorrhoid/prolapse looking compared to a non layer vent.
Yes it does, the eggs definitely stretch the vent. Young birds can lay some odd eggs.

Back
Top Bottom