Dog problem. Need advice.

jnicholes

Free Ranging
7 Years
Feb 16, 2017
Dietrich, Idaho
Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my dog. I’m going to take him to the vet as soon as I can, but I would like some advice on what to do until I can get him to the vet.

3F647A16-528A-4469-8006-F58B56B7209B.jpeg

This is Buster. He’s about 11 years old. Unsure of the breed, because we rescued him from a ravine in North Idaho when he was a puppy.

He must’ve done something to his back leg, because last night he went out to go to the bathroom, we heard a loud yelp, and he came back to the door putting no pressure on his back leg.

Just for clarification, the back leg in the picture is the affected leg.

We woke up this morning, checked on him, and he is still not putting any pressure on it. My mother felt his back leg, and his muscles feel very tight.

He has an appointment with the vet at 1:00 Mountain Time today. That is in three hours.

What can I do for him until we get them to the vet? Is there anything I should or should not do?

Jared

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my dog. I’m going to take him to the vet as soon as I can, but I would like some advice on what to do until I can get him to the vet.

View attachment 2945317

This is Buster. He’s about 11 years old. Unsure of the breed, because we rescued him from a ravine in North Idaho when he was a puppy.

He must’ve done something to his back leg, because last night he went out to go to the bathroom, we heard a loud yelp, and he came back to the door putting no pressure on his back leg.

We woke up this morning, checked on him, and he is still not putting any pressure on it. My mother felt his back leg, and his muscles feel very tight.

He has an appointment with the vet at 1:00 Mountain Time today. That is in three hours.

What can I do for him until we get them to the vet? Is there anything I should or should not do?

Jared
Poor boy, getting old is not for the faint of heart, that's for sure.

Just keep him warm to help relax the spine and muscles. I hope it's just some luxation or similar and the vet will be able to help him immediately.

Hi everyone,

View attachment 2945317

Jared
Hes old.... I have a saint that is 11 had done the same thing 3 times.....he most likley just pushed himself to far if you touch it what's his reaction? I bet he pulled a muscle or did something wonky he will be fine :) you cold try a warm compress on it. And since he is old I would start giving him cosiquin if you aren't already:) keep us updated

Got a diagnosis.

Buster partially tore an ac ligament. Vet put a brace on and told us what to do.

He needs to rest and not put weight on that leg. We got meds also.

If it doesn’t get better, he will need surgery.
Will they give him surgery? Are vet wont give are dog surgeries since she 11. They told us if it gets worse we can put her down or lots of meds but no surgery. Thank god she hasn't done anything terrible

Got a diagnosis.

Buster partially tore an ac ligament. Vet put a brace on and told us what to do.

He needs to rest and not put weight on that leg. We got meds also.

If it doesn’t get better, he will need surgery.
Well, as with you and your vet he is in good care, there is reasonable hope for a good recovery.

Fingers crossed :fl

can you create a small temporary pen for him?

about 15 years ago, my parents’ dog had surgery on his knees and part of the recovery was to pen him in an area small enough so that he couldn’t move around too much. we made it super comfy with a lot of blankets

then as he started recovering, id bring him into the bathtub and hold him as he paddled his legs as if he was swimming. the zero impact movement helped him rehab the knee.

Back
Top Bottom