Dog thread!🐾

He needs work on his manners like not lunging (and crying) at people and dogs even if it’s just to say hi.

I just don’t know. But I have to stop it. I reeled him in tight and told him NO! in a stern voice but not yelling obviously and thankfully he sat down on his own. So that’s good. But yeah.

Hodge was like this with ppl. My arm would be dead when I got home. I ended up using a prong collar for a time, which saved my shoulder from further damage and potential surgery later on. Then i started layering his training. He was very young when I started all this but a dog of any age is treated the same way. All people were avoided as far as close contact was concerned - I achieved this by walking far away from them, all my friends :(, until I could gauge his arousal levels, and it was a blody great distance with this dog. He will hear a boat out on the lake. We can't see it for the treeline but he will not move until he spots it! He does the same with planes and helicopters. Where is his mind? Not on me! Where do i want his mind? On Me! I need to give him the confidence that he doesn't need to look out for me unless there is a real threat.

So, when he saw someone and stopped in his tracks, I rewarded him for letting me know and for not reacting further. By stopping and staring he is telling me he sees the person - in his mind, a potential threat to me? ( a dog's job, right?). A very calm, low tone ' goood boooy' and a firm resting of my hand on his head reassured him without exciting his arousal.

In this way I increased his confidence in order to mitigate the arousal, which leads to the reaction - the anxiety that results in a lunge, a bark, a whine, jumping, zooming, any behaviour you don't want etc..

I started with permissions at doors. If your dog races out the door or gate ahead of you, where is his mind? Not on you and his arousal is already building because he knows those moving things are out there. Imagine you are worth $100 dollars and everytime your dog looks at you (in your immediate environment) you gain $5, and everytime he blows you off you deduct $5. What do you have at the end of the day .. or even an hour?

Hodge was like this with ppl. My arm would be dead when I got home. I ended up using a prong collar for a time, which saved my shoulder from further damage and potential surgery later on. Then i started layering his training. He was very young when I started all this but a dog of any age is treated the same way. All people were avoided as far as close contact was concerned - I achieved this by walking far away from them, all my friends :(, until I could gauge his arousal levels, and it was a blody great distance with this dog. He will hear a boat out on the lake. We can't see it for the treeline but he will not move until he spots it! He does the same with planes and helicopters. Where is his mind? Not on me! Where do i want his mind? On Me! I need to give him the confidence that he doesn't need to look out for me unless there is a real threat.

So, when he saw someone and stopped in his tracks, I rewarded him for letting me know and for not reacting further. By stopping and staring he is telling me he sees the person - in his mind, a potential threat to me? ( a dog's job, right?). A very calm, low tone ' goood boooy' and a firm resting of my hand on his head reassured him without exciting his arousal.

In this way I increased his confidence in order to mitigate the arousal, which leads to the reaction - the anxiety that results in a lunge, a bark, a whine, jumping, zooming, any behaviour you don't want etc..

I started with permissions at doors. If your dog races out the door or gate ahead of you, where is his mind? Not on you and his arousal is already building because he knows those moving things are out there. Imagine you are worth $100 dollars and everytime your dog looks at you (in your immediate environment) you gain $5, and everytime he blows you off you deduct $5. What do you have at the end of the day .. or even an hour?
Thanks!!! This is really helpful!!! I do have a prong but I only used it really briefly. I also have a martingale which is what we walk everyday in and a slip leash. Also an e collar. And of course he wears a flat collar too. Probably should try different tools maybe. Idk. And more praise.

Thanks!!! This is really helpful!!! I do have a prong but I only used it really briefly. I also have a martingale which is what we walk everyday in and a slip leash. Also an e collar. And of course he wears a flat collar too. Probably should try different tools maybe. Idk. And more praise.
You're welcome. I've used all of those, except the martingale; they all have their place. Happy training!

Me and Chase went to the park with my sister and one of her dogs. I got some pictures of her dog. I thought I’d share!
DSC_7031.jpeg
DSC_6992.jpeg
DSC_7009.jpeg
DSC_7012.jpeg
DSC_7022.jpeg

Chase in the background😂
DSC_7039.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom