Dogs are killing my ducks and chickens. How do I safely repel them? Ultra sonic?

It makes me angry but if my ducks hurt someone else’s animal I’d feel pretty bad.
I understand that, I was just saying as a last resort, if you already tried animal control, and all othe possibilities, after that, what else can you do ?

My yard is fenced but the drive way has a 12 foot gap and I can’t install a gate.

A dog has 3x wipes out 30 ducks. I talked to the owner but it continues to happen.

It usually happens at night and it’s not always the same dog.

I don’t want to be mean to the dog, just keep them out.

Any ideas?
Have you seen the motion activated sprinklers? Some come with light or sound. When the Predator or other offender comes within the range/area you set, a strong sprinkler sweeps the area. Like turning the hose on them. Usually works pretty well. Otherwise, do you live where you can keep a llama? You'll never have Predator problems again! Or as much headache and expense and responsibility as a dog, a dog that might just eat your chickens!

Have you seen the motion activated sprinklers? Some come with light or sound. When the Predator or other offender comes within the range/area you set, a strong sprinkler sweeps the area. Like turning the hose on them. Usually works pretty well. Otherwise, do you live where you can keep a llama? You'll never have Predator problems again! Or as much headache and expense and responsibility as a dog, a dog that might just eat your chickens!
Interesting. Yes I could. Neighbors have horses and cows. I have some peafowl but they are fully caged after 4pm.

My yard is fenced but the drive way has a 12 foot gap and I can’t install a gate.

A dog has 3x wipes out 30 ducks. I talked to the owner but it continues to happen.

It usually happens at night and it’s not always the same dog.

I don’t want to be mean to the dog, just keep them out.

Any ideas?
Call animal control would be my first bet, along with trying to find where they are coming from and really locking your chooks up tight. :)

I need that for our occasional rooster fights, where can I buy one?
They just fight and I have to turn the hose on them every now and then myself :lol:

I need that for our occasional rooster fights, where can I buy one?
They just fight and I have to turn the hose on them every now and then myself :lol:

I’ve seen these. I might buy one but I bet the ducks would learn how to set it off and learned to get sprayed *lol*

Maybe raising a dog is the best bet. I understand it’s naturalistic for them to chase attack and pray on birds, but when it happens I do get angry. When I lost my whole flock, I walked over to the neighbors covered in duck blood. The two dogs had brought back their trophies and I think I frightened them as I followed their dogs home.

So, I know you can't block the 12 foot opening, but what about modifying the ground? Perhaps putting in a cattle grate style thing in place? This way the vehicles and people can move through the area with no problem, but land-bound animals would find it difficult/painful to move through that area.

So, I know you can't block the 12 foot opening, but what about modifying the ground? Perhaps putting in a cattle grate style thing in place? This way the vehicles and people can move through the area with no problem, but land-bound animals would find it difficult/painful to move through that area.

I have considered an electronic gate, but we’re kindly weirdly situated where there’s a lot of land, family dwellings and vehicles, so each vehicle would need a gate sensor or code. May be some day, but can’t justify the cost right now.

Though a cattle grate would be fairly simple, I think the wife would hate it. Plus the young ducks would fly over it (at their own unknown risk to
Dog attack.) They like to go out there and explore, especially when it rains. The more mature ducks stay inside the yard as I have always chased them back in when they wander out.

I don’t usually clip their wings because they don’t have any defensive mechanisms.

Kind of a crapshot, but lots of ideas I hadnt thought of!

Back
Top Bottom