Don't Get Attached To Them

bcorps

Songster
Jul 13, 2020
SW Indiana
Ugh. The day has finally come. I'm waiting for someone to come over and buy two of my three roos. One of them, I couldn't care less about...never made a real bond. But the other was my favorite sweet little cockerel. He was always on my lap, and loved getting petted. He's just not my best grown up rooster, and I have to do what's best for the flock. Unfortunately, I let him become a pet, and now I'm gonna pay for that.

Ugh. The day has finally come. I'm waiting for someone to come over and buy two of my three roos. One of them, I couldn't care less about...never made a real bond. But the other was my favorite sweet little cockerel. He was always on my lap, and loved getting petted. He's just not my best grown up rooster, and I have to do what's best for the flock. Unfortunately, I let him become a pet, and now I'm gonna pay for that.
Sorry. At least he has a good home now and you won't have to cull him.

So sorry! Going throught the same thing currently. Part of having chickens. 🥰

The feels sometimes override the head. I know it did for me with a too that got aggressive with everyone but me.

I dont name mine for that reason, but my housemate keeps giving them names! (and then telling me they're a nuisance and complaining about them o.o)

It's also way easier to part with them if they all kind of generally look the same because you have less attachment to the individual bird.

The cockrells that I sold were for meat, but I actually was more apprehensive selling my pullets because if I sold them to someone crappy, theyd have to live a crappy life. It's seems weird that that bugs me but not the idea of someone processing my roos.

I have had to give away 3 cockerels so far, nearly full grown at that, then lost Henri my favorite BR. He loved getting petted and scratched on the neck and back.. But alas, it wasn't the end of the story. I have a 16 week old 'home grown' boy who had to have his wing amputated, and he's really not ready to put out with his future 'wives' yet, so stay inside he does. Makes for a ton of extra cleaning, but some times it's worth it. Not only does Gator enjoy being next to me when I read, but now Prince is in on it too!
20210212_111012.jpg

So sorry. I definitely learned that the hard way. I had a guy come pick up one of my olive eggers months ago and I regret selling him to him. He was going to tie his legs together and put him in the trunk. When I got a box to put the cockerel in he shoved him in by his wings. The cockerel made a noise I’ve never heard any of my birds make before. I cried. Should have canceled the sale.

I have three cockerels because all were special hatched. One was the first chicken we’ve ever owned. The second is the only surviving out of a hatch gone bad. And the third is a light Brahma my husband got attached to. The only one he got attached to. We have another male suspect chick that I had to assist hatch. Going to be hard getting rid of him but I cannot keep any more males.

I dont name mine for that reason, but my housemate keeps giving them names! (and then telling me they're a nuisance and complaining about them o.o)

It's also way easier to part with them if they all kind of generally look the same because you have less attachment to the individual bird.

The cockrells that I sold were for meat, but I actually was more apprehensive selling my pullets because if I sold them to someone crappy, theyd have to live a crappy life. It's seems weird that that bugs me but not the idea of someone processing my roos.
The guy is driving 100 miles and paying for them, so at least I can be assured he's not going to get eaten. Much cheaper to go to the local grocery.

Well, for egg production roos aren't necessary to keep alive so if they got to someone that is bad, they may not have to live with it for more then a few days, but egg production hens are wanted alive instead of meat. So if their sold to a bad owner, that means they spend sometimes years with that bad owner. So I kinda understand you. We don't sell egg layers to people we believe to be bad owners.

Back
Top Bottom