Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

Hope your hay dries by tomorrow, Lisa, and that you get your first tomato!

Yesterday was the first day of Murray Fest, and it was GREAT!! Not only were there amazing speakers, but it was possible to actually talk with them, not just at the Q and A sessions. Lots of good vendors and I came home with some cool new stuff (and, books, always books!).

Plus, I took the hatchery tour; it's unbelievable how many chicks go through that place and how it's all done! McMurray contracts with a few places and has four of its own barns, all off site. My tour guide was retiring co-owner Bud Wood, who said that where the Bantams were got hit with Avian Influenza and that's why there are no Bantams for sale right now.

Looking forward to more good stuff (and less spending!) today -- and buying some standard breed chicks on Monday. Too many, probably.

Barb, I hopeyou probably have a good day today
we have been working hard here. getting a little done in the shop cleaning. besides, I snagged two free 55 gal drums. I have the tops cut out and they are cleaned out. I made places for them to set on out of concrete blocks. today I hope to get the spigots in them. then I have some screen to make covers for them to keep leaves and mosquitoes out
Annie is cleaning out the back of my old tool truck
she found where the pipe threading tools were.
I knew they were in a tool box, but we couldn't find them in the garage or lean to.
they are now in their own drawer right under the big vise, where they will be used.
I was up at 4AM today. by 6 I had a kettle of chili made.
my next soup will be kale soup like they have at Olive Garden. Mine is more creamy.
As of one year ago, today I have lost 22 pounds
I hope I don't plateau .

The weekend at the festival was great, and I got all the chick breeds I wanted at the sale today. The way the sale was set up was incredible, and I might write about it later.

BUT, overnight, something took four of my sweet, little kittens. When they didn't come in for breakfast, I knew something was terribly wrong. Only two are left now, and even though I didn't want or need kittens, I am very sad that they are gone. They were so lively and silly and fun.

Also, I made an appointment to have one of my 15-year-old cats put down tomorrow morning. She was diagnosed with a tumor early this year. I always believe I will know when it's time to let them go, and it's time for Mins. But I couldn't lose her today, too.

Chicks aside, it's been a terrible day.

The weekend at the festival was great, and I got all the chick breeds I wanted at the sale today. The way the sale was set up was incredible, and I might write about it later.

BUT, overnight, something took four of my sweet, little kittens. When they didn't come in for breakfast, I knew something was terribly wrong. Only two are left now, and even though I didn't want or need kittens, I am very sad that they are gone. They were so lively and silly and fun.

Also, I made an appointment to have one of my 15-year-old cats put down tomorrow morning. She was diagnosed with a tumor early this year. I always believe I will know when it's time to let them go, and it's time for Mins. But I couldn't lose her today, too.

Chicks aside, it's been a terrible day.
I'm so sorry Barb. Are you sure the kittens didn't just go on an adventure? My heart was breaking reading your post. My wandering kitty recently returned after being gone a month. I'm so very happy to have her back.

I'm so sorry about your older cat as well. That's always a heart wrenching decision to make. :(

I hope you got a few chick breeds you wanted. New chicks can be a good distraction.

Lisa, I'm glad your kitty came back, but this little goofballs rarely left the deck, the steps or right in front of the door. At night, they would have wild "kitty parties" just off the deck, frolicking in my flower beds and jumping out of the tall catmint to scare each other.

No, they're gone. One of two have occasionally missed a meal, but never all four and never more than one meal.

So sorry about all of your cat woes, Barb.
I hope you don't put wet bales in a building, Lisa.
I know you know better. I shouldn't have even said that.
I am being treated by a chiropractor in Merrill.
I have had three treatments for arthritis in my neck.
I am at the point where my head is loose again. I can turn all the way to the right and the left. no pain.
I lucked out for a cover for one of my rain barrels.
I had a circle of aluminum lying around here for years. Left over from when I was building chicken pluckers. It is a perfect fit on the barrel. what machinists call a press fit.
I have to get an overflow fitting , like I have on last year's barrel.. only problem , I don't know what it is called.
The clerks at Menards are already dodging out of sight when they see me coming . lol

Great news!!! I was wrong!! When I was taking the dogs out at 2:30 this morning, I thought one of the tortoiseshell kittens had somehow escaped the safety of its PawHut kennel.

Then, I realized it was one of the missing black kittens -- and one of the missing orange kittens was also on the ramp. There are still only 4 kittens, not 6, but I'm overjoyed that there are that many alive and well.

The joy of the early morning was tempered by having to let go of one of my old girls. She no longer has to live with the pain of her illness.

Tomorrow, I hope to post about the incredible festival and my new chicks -- all stayed alive overnight. I'm exhausted today.

Still four kittens this morning, and I have found homes for three of them, right after their first vet visit.

Although I wish all six were back, it was heartwarming yesterday to see four kittens playing on the deck and being goofy. One took a nap in a watering can; others slept in my potted herbs.

Although I will miss the kittens, I have a brooder with seven chicks that should help keep me busy. Lisa, how are you and your new chicks doing?

The McMurray sale was wild. We were given boxes as we entered the building, which was filled with hundreds of bins of chicks, separated by breed and sex. There were many THOUSANDS of noisy, lively babies to choose from.

We were allowed to choose our own chicks, fill our boxes with how ever many of whatever breeds we wanted and were charged a flat price per chick, based on the number and not whether it was a more rare or fancier breed.

I think I showed a great deal of restraint in ONLY getting seven. Although four would have been a better number, based on current available housing space. I'll figure it out. And, I got all the breeds I wanted, based on the lists I kept making and revising for weeks.

Although all chicks are cute, I am absolutely in love with the 2 Cochins' teeny tiny feathers on their legs. I don't remember my other Cochins having such adorable feathering so early.

When I asked online about vaccinating chicks, I was told they would not do that with sale chicks Monday. However, I heard someone else ask Tom, the hatchery owner, and he took their box of chicks and mine, and we got Marek's and coccidiosis vaccines. When I got to checkout and told the girl I'd gotten vaccines, she said that was free.

Jim, you might have enjoyed one of the sessions I attended. Anne Briggs, who is known online as "Anne of All Trades," demonstrated the right and safest way to use a variety of hand and power tools. Someday, when I finally get the garage organized and know where all the tools are, I might have a better understanding of how to use them. Maybe.

Glad to hear the chiropractor is helping you. Keep harassing those Menards clerks!

Back
Top Bottom