TillyD

Songster
Jun 1, 2022
Hello! My mom and I set eggs from the same source 21 days ago. She had 6 in her off brand (made in China, no reviews when she bought it) and I had 9 in my Kebonnix. I did a 50% humidity normal/wet hatch. She did a dry hatch, which held at 25-30% for the first 18 days. We both upped to 65% humidity on day 19, and both have held steady since. Today, on day 20, I have 5 babies, all hatched in the last 20ish hours, plus 1 loss and 3 not yet pipped (maybe 1 pipped, not sure...) She has nothing. She says they look like little rocks just hanging out in her incubator... Now, I did hatch 2/4 eggs in her incubator just a month ago, but I kept it humid, 45-50% (the thing is hard to keep that high, but I work at home and have older kids to help monitor...) I dont think its her incubator. We did set probe thermometers and hygrometers in her incubator both times to calibrate......
So... Is it possible her dry hatch is just taking longer? Technically, day 21 just started... But maybe she will have later bloomers than me?! Anyone have experience with both methods and can tell me if dry hatching generally takes longer?
TYVM!

Could she have put the humidity to high the last few days and drowned them maybe? If its kept lower the while time I think its supposed to be 40-50 humidity the last couple of days

Could she have put the humidity to high the last few days and drowned them maybe? If its kept lower the while time I think its supposed to be 40-50 humidity the last couple of days
I guess it's possible... She has kept it at 60-65% the last three days... We still don't see anything happening on her eggs... All 6 drowned?! She is gonna be so sad... This hatching, which is our third hatching, but only second time this incubator has been used, has been a bit devastating....

I guess it's possible... She has kept it at 60-65% the last three days... We still don't see anything happening on her eggs... All 6 drowned?! She is gonna be so sad... This hatching, which is our third hatching, but only second time this incubator has been used, has been a bit devastating....
That's my guess but I really don't know something else might have happened @MGG

Hello! My mom and I set eggs from the same source 21 days ago. She had 6 in her off brand (made in China, no reviews when she bought it) and I had 9 in my Kebonnix. I did a 50% humidity normal/wet hatch. She did a dry hatch, which held at 25-30% for the first 18 days. We both upped to 65% humidity on day 19, and both have held steady since. Today, on day 20, I have 5 babies, all hatched in the last 20ish hours, plus 1 loss and 3 not yet pipped (maybe 1 pipped, not sure...) She has nothing. She says they look like little rocks just hanging out in her incubator... Now, I did hatch 2/4 eggs in her incubator just a month ago, but I kept it humid, 45-50% (the thing is hard to keep that high, but I work at home and have older kids to help monitor...) I dont think its her incubator. We did set probe thermometers and hygrometers in her incubator both times to calibrate......
So... Is it possible her dry hatch is just taking longer? Technically, day 21 just started... But maybe she will have later bloomers than me?! Anyone have experience with both methods and can tell me if dry hatching generally takes longer?
TYVM!
It's good you both used additional hygrometers/thermometers, but did you actually calibrate the thermometers and salt test the hygrometers first? If not, they were most likely not accurate.
As a reference, I bought a few accurite thermometers from Walmart a while ago. I knew my incubator was holding steady at 99.5 based off of three other recently calibrated thermometers, so I put the new ones in for fun to see how they measured up. One was saying it was 103 degrees in there, one said 92, and one said 97. None of them were anywhere close. And if I had relied on one of them, my eggs would have all died. Even just one degree off could mean the difference between a successful or failed hatch.
If you did calibrate them and are sure they're accurate, I would bet her incubator doesn't have enough ventilation, or has hot or cold spots.
How were they being turned?
Have her candle the eggs and see if she sees any veins or movement.
To answer your original question, dry hatching vs wet hatching doesn't alter the amount of time they need to incubate. I've done both and though I prefer running my incubators with water to keep the humidity around 40%, dry hatching doesn't make much difference with chickens.
Though when I dry hatched, the eggs being dry hatched actually hatched first.

It's good you both used additional hygrometers/thermometers, but did you actually calibrate the thermometers and salt test the hygrometers first? If not, they were most likely not accurate.
As a reference, I bought a few accurite thermometers from Walmart a while ago. I knew my incubator was holding steady at 99.5 based off of three other recently calibrated thermometers, so I put the new ones in for fun to see how they measured up. One was saying it was 103 degrees in there, one said 92, and one said 97. None of them were anywhere close. And if I had relied on one of them, my eggs would have all died. Even just one degree off could mean the difference between a successful or failed hatch.
If you did calibrate them and are sure they're accurate, I would bet her incubator doesn't have enough ventilation, or has hot or cold spots.
How were they being turned?
Have her candle the eggs and see if she sees any veins or movement.
To answer your original question, dry hatching vs wet hatching doesn't alter the amount of time they need to incubate. I've done both and though I prefer running my incubators with water to keep the humidity around 40%, dry hatching doesn't make much difference with chickens.
Though when I dry hatched, the eggs being dry hatched actually hatched first.
Yes, she did actually calibrate her probe thermometers. Her incubator does not have a hygrometer, and the thermometer is off. It read at 102-103 when the calibrated thermometers said 99-100... She did calibrate them, though... I suggested she candle. I think she is waiting til they are over due. Today is day 21...
Thank you for the info. ❤️

I have had my most successful hatches incubating at around 30% humidity and around 70% during lockdown. I would suspect temperature may be a factor. Did you calibrate the hygrometers and thermometers?

Back
Top Bottom