Dry Incubation

Hi All,
The only other method using a higher humidity was under my broody hen
smile.png
!
She set a clutch of 20 eggs, 1 was infertile, and one got stepped on in the hatching process (by mamma hen) and died. So essentially, I had a 99% fertility rate, and a 98% live hatch rate for that set.

I actually preffer to use the natural method of broody hen-SO much LESS stress! My kids helped me with the incubator. We turned from 3 to 5 times a day-they never forgot-the kids loved the incubator method because they got to help. And the intersting thing is that the 9 OEGB incubated eggs had everything working against them. They were randomly collected, several older than 7 day old eggs (I think a couple were 9 to 10 days after being laid), they had gotten mud on them when it had rained (mamma got them muddy before we could collect), my Little Giant fluctuated in temp between 98 and 102 degrees.

I can't explain the high hatch rate, but I think I can contribute it to several factors:
1. OEGB's are EXTREMELY hardy/healthy critters (silkies were shipped eggs and did well also).
2.I'm at home 24/7 so temp fluctuations could be caught quickly.
3.I was able to roll the eggs as scheduled-without missing a roll-my kids are proffessional egg rollers now
smile.png
4.The bator was put in master bedroom closet-which I think contributed greatly to the stability of humidity and temp. The temp fluctuations that did occur were most likely related to issues of the Little Giant bator.

In all, I followed the Dry Incubation article instructions as closely as possible, and I have not tried the higher humidity or usual method for hatching.

The dry incubation method worked well for me, also. Last year, I incubated 8 jersey giant eggs (shipped), all developed and 5 hatched. The egg seller said that was a good hatch rate for shipped eggs.

My incubator is a Little Giant, no fan, no turner...I manually turned the eggs 3-4x a day and the incubator holes are unplugged until day 18. Then I plugged the holes and added some water to the wells and added a damp sponge. The dry method is good for those of us that live in humid areas.
Stephanie

Back
Top Bottom