Duck Ear Infection?

Dogs have a pinna (fleshy and cartilaginous ear lobe) but birds do not. Dogs get yeast/bacterial infections (similar to those affecting ladies) that can often be treated topically but birds do not have anywhere close to the same anatomy (basically a hole in the skull covered by a little skin and feathers). Obviously digging around in there would not be a good idea nor will topical meds penetrate that big of a swelling (even oral or injectable meds might have trouble). Antibiotics may help, even if it is only treating a secondary bacterial infection. If the primary cause is protozoal you’ll need to treat appropriately. Is it an abscess? Could you hot pack it twice daily to encourage it to rupture? Could also be secondary to a foreign body (thorn etc. poked in there somewhere). Another possibility is osteomyelitis (bone infection), if it is hard and bony feeling throughout that could be what it is (very hard to treat).

birds do not have anywhere close to the same anatomy (basically a hole in the skull covered by a little skin and feathers).
A bit more complex than just a hole in the skull covered by a little skin and feathers.

https://earthlife.net/bird-ears-and-hearing-in-birds/
1721186313099.png

https://www.poultryhub.org/anatomy-...tems/nervous-systems-important-sensory-organs

1721186327981.png

Just thought I'd give an update. I continued to apply the neosporin in the opening of her ear twice a day, and luckily, a few days ago the rest of the pus in her ear came forward to the opening. I was able to gently pry it out with an ear pick curette I got online. The swelling is now gone, and she's back to her normal self and eating her favorite treats again (dried BSFL)

Just thought I'd give an update. I continued to apply the neosporin in the opening of her ear twice a day, and luckily, a few days ago the rest of the pus in her ear came forward to the opening. I was able to gently pry it out with an ear pick curette I got online. The swelling is now gone, and she's back to her normal self and eating her favorite treats again (dried BSFL)
Wonderful!
I'm glad you were able to get the rest of the pus out of the ear and she's back to her old self.

Thank you for the update.

Back
Top Bottom