Duck egg hatching today on day 26 help!

LillyAcresFarm

Chirping
Aug 13, 2020
Pipestem, Wv
One of my ducklings has popped today. I heard it peeping at around noon and took a photo of the hole. My husband just got home and sent me a picture of the egg now. The hole is quite a bit bigger but shouldn’t it be going around the egg instead of just making a big hole. I’m worried I shrink wrapped it when I added water to it and the humidity has shot up while I’ve been gone. What to do? Should I have him open the bator to let some humidity out?

Attachments

• C647FC71-87C0-4078-B5E9-F4CBD6405D39.jpeg
    C647FC71-87C0-4078-B5E9-F4CBD6405D39.jpeg
    231.4 KB · Views: 71
  • B55E9228-3684-4802-A773-726A52ACD9C3.jpeg
    B55E9228-3684-4802-A773-726A52ACD9C3.jpeg
    234.3 KB · Views: 18
Ducklings take forever to hatch - up to 48 hours from that first external pip. It's only right at the end it will unzip the egg. It takes a long time for them to finish absorbing the remains of the yolk and the blood that has been flowing through the veins of the membrane and it's really important that all happens before the duckling hatches.

I wouldn't worry about the humidity - it should stabilise soon. When you add water it always shoots up, then it settles after awhile. There's no condensation on the inside of the incubator so there's nothing to worry about.

I can see it’s foot coming out of the pip hole now. Should I be concerned about that?

I don't think so as their feet are up near their head when they position themselves to hatch. There's no way your duckling would have absorbed the remains of the yolk yet and that is absolutely critical before hatch.

This might be helpful to read through:
https://www.raising-ducks.com/when-assist-hatching/

You can start making note of the time and when you first heard the first noises. Then you can just watch the clock.

And you can decide ahead of time, how long you will allow him to struggle before you intervene. (I think its better to decide this ahead of time. And gather data on it.)

Someone has a guide on this also within the site that's very good but I don't know the spot to look at it. Someone else might know.

And what kind of ducks are they?

You can start making note of the time and when you first heard the first noises. Then you can just watch the clock.

And you can decide ahead of time, how long you will allow him to struggle before you intervene. (I think its better to decide this ahead of time. And gather data on it.)

Someone has a guide on this also within the site that's very good but I don't know the spot to look at it. Someone else might know.

And what kind of ducks are they?

they are silver Appleyards. I think it’s starting to zip now.

One of my ducklings has popped today. I heard it peeping at around noon and took a photo of the hole. My husband just got home and sent me a picture of the egg now. The hole is quite a bit bigger but shouldn’t it be going around the egg instead of just making a big hole. I’m worried I shrink wrapped it when I added water to it and the humidity has shot up while I’ve been gone. What to do? Should I have him open the bator to let some humidity out?
How’s your duck egg doing this morning? :)

Back
Top Bottom