Duck is limping

NewAtThis8

Songster
Apr 9, 2023
I don’t see bumblefoot. What I do feel is maybe a swollen toe joint. It happened between 8-9am yesterday, I deduced, by camera - we had a pet sitter that’s familiar with the ducks over this weekend as we were away. The girls came out of their house and walked / ran around the run fine, and then when the pet sitter left I saw the limp. Because of this I do think it’s an injury, maybe she got stepped on/etc. If so, I’m also thinking it’s probably a break
or since the swelling is at the joint of the toe, a sprain- what I’m trying to figure out next is, do we go to the vet? If it’s a break that’s closed would they still need an antibiotic for infection or no? I’ve been through the wringer with the ducks this past year and a half and while I’ll do absolutely anything necessary to keep them healthy, these vet visits ARE getting costly. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Attachments

• IMG_7082.jpeg
    IMG_7082.jpeg
    960.7 KB · Views: 21
Give her some electrolytes and b vitamins daily then let her rest. Most likely just a sprain which can happen quite often with ducks. A sprain is the tearing of tissue. Similar to when you pull a rubber ban and the edges start to tear. The tearing will cause swelling because of the body’s inflammatory response to fix the tear. The vet cannot do anything for a sprain besides take your money. If she doesn’t start to show a little progress by the end of the week then it might be something more serious.

Give her some electrolytes and b vitamins daily then let her rest. Most likely just a sprain which can happen quite often with ducks. A sprain is the tearing of tissue. Similar to when you pull a rubber ban and the edges start to tear. The tearing will cause swelling because of the body’s inflammatory response to fix the tear. The vet cannot do anything for a sprain besides take your money. If she doesn’t start to show a little progress by the end of the week then it might be something more serious.
Thank you!

Hi, I might have a duck with the same problem and I was just wondering, by letting her rest do you mean isolate her in a pen or a crate so she moves less ? My ducks are free range in a big garden, and one of them has been limping for the past 3 - 4 days . Some days it's more obvious other days less so. I figured it's probably a sprain or bruise or something. I can't see anything wrong accept maybe a little bit of swelling. Should I let her free range in the garden where she has access to the pond - I figured swimming is good for her - or should I lock her up in a crate or in a pen ?

Hi, I might have a duck with the same problem and I was just wondering, by letting her rest do you mean isolate her in a pen or a crate so she moves less ? My ducks are free range in a big garden, and one of them has been limping for the past 3 - 4 days . Some days it's more obvious other days less so. I figured it's probably a sprain or bruise or something. I can't see anything wrong accept maybe a little bit of swelling. Should I let her free range in the garden where she has access to the pond - I figured swimming is good for her - or should I lock her up in a crate or in a pen ?
Mine recovered after a week- she was restricted to her run (10 x 10) and did still swim every day. I think the goal is just to reduce movement to allow for it to heal, but she doesn’t have to be totally off her feet.

By let them rest I mean letting them alone not stressing them out. Crating and isolating cause stress. The problem with that is stress actually triggers an inflammatory response by the bodies immune system which will not just delay healing, but can also make things worse.

By let them rest I mean letting them alone not stressing them out. Crating and isolating cause stress. The problem with that is stress actually triggers an inflammatory response by the bodies immune system which will not just delay healing, but can also make things worse.
Right, so hands off the ducks. Got it. She does seem to be getting better, almost no limp today so far. It was probably just a sprain. I think she likely kept catching her foot on the cage she sleeps in, as I am leaving it open for the night. I fixed that up so she can't stick her feet in between the wires anymore. Hopefully that will prevent further injury. Thank you ❤️

Back
Top Bottom