Duck Pond/pool pictures

Pics
Tweetysvoice, for ducks, I'd abandon all thoughts of equipment made for ponds with fish and turn instead to equipment made for sludge and dirty water. So, I'd go for a submersible sump pump designed to pump out flooded, filthy basements e.g. (this is an Australian site but you get the idea) http://greywatergator.com/d40va-vortex-pump-davey/

I don't know of any pond filter that will actually filter duck water clean enough to return it to the pond. You'd be looking at a big biofilter to get that job done. All in all, the easiest way is to drain the water completely and refill the pond (IMO).

I love the way your white duck is beautifully clean even though the water is green :) Lovely ducks.

Last edited:
Yes pond pumps are useless with domestics. I ended up buying a sump pump and it is truly one of the best things I have ever bought. It's come in handy for so many things besides just the ducks.

You're welcome, Tweetys! I have been using a sump pump to pump out my duck ponds for about 18 months now and it has worked like a champion the whole time. If you get a unit that is built to handle large particles (mine is built to handle particles that are about 1.5 inches big) then it will not block up or burn out. Try to use the biggest outlet hose you can that fit on the pump, to avoid that getting blocked. I use 3/4 inch pipe and I find that it's fine.

Duck pond water is heavy duty stuff :)

I have a question about using a sump pump, I know it works great to empty and refill a pond, but can you also use it continuously? I would love to eventually set up a large bio filter and recycle my water back into the ducks "pond." I know regular pond pumps can get clogged, would a sump pump, usually designed to be used occasionally, work continuously, and if it does would the power of the pump be too much in a small pond? Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks! Also if it helps, my 3 ducks use an old bathtub for their pond and we currently just drain it using gravity and refill with the hose.

Actually yes you can. I know of at least 2 people who route the water into a sump pump that reroutes back to the pond.
I have a question about using a sump pump, I know it works great to empty and refill a pond, but can you also use it continuously? I would love to eventually set up a large bio filter and recycle my water back into the ducks "pond." I know regular pond pumps can get clogged, would a sump pump, usually designed to be used occasionally, work continuously, and if it does would the power of the pump be too much in a small pond? Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks! Also if it helps, my 3 ducks use an old bathtub for their pond and we currently just drain it using gravity and refill with the hose.

I wonder then if you could set it up to have some sort of filtration you set up yourself. Like a small pool that filters back into the main pond... And has some natural things in it like pond plants or carbon.

I wonder then if you could set it up to have some sort of filtration you set up yourself. Like a small pool that filters back into the main pond... And has some natural things in it like pond plants or carbon.
Actually yes you can and it defiantly helps keep the water cleaner. I know there's at least one thread about it on here but for the life of me can't remember the name of it.

I think this may be one of the posts you are talking about:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/146829/the-duck-ponics-experiment-raising-minnows

I've done a lot of reading about setting up filtration systems, I was just unsure if the sump pump would work as the motor behind the system, good to know that it can!
Ah yes I think the DuckPonics project may have it
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom