Duck Pond/pool pictures

Pics
Tweetysvoice, how do you keep the outer run clean?
It actually doesn't get as bad as you think. When it's hot and dry out - I just rake crud up and shovel it into a wheel barrow. I only do that once a month. I think because it's exposed to the elements, the rain will wash away a lot of it or the ducks just stamp it into the dirt. When we mow, we throw the grass clippings in there and they spread that around - eating on it as well. The dirtiest place is right around the water - where they get it muddy and stinky. That's the hardest to clean. We've had to put a fly trap near that cuz the flies love the stinkiness. LOL

I just built this this weekend. The top has chicken wire over it and the bottom 3ft has chicken wire to keep the ducks in and the predators out. Mine are still little babies so we will see if this works when they get older.

looks nice! I would consider a more shallow, less high wading pool though. Or either build up all the way around the pan or sink the pan into the ground some. You will see that they don't always use the steps to come out of the pool and can easily hurt their legs when landing. Been there done that. :)

Here A picture of my pond I built for my ducks and swans. The palms only made it one season the swans ate them.

100_0584.jpg
I love your swans!

I just built this this weekend. The top has chicken wire over it and the bottom 3ft has chicken wire to keep the ducks in and the predators out. Mine are still little babies so we will see if this works when they get older.
If you plan on keeping your ducks in there 24/7 I would put something outside on the bottom to keep out diggers. It's a nice run for them but it doesn't look safe. you can use hardware cloth or some other kind of fencing besides chicken wire and attach to the fence and bury it about a foot in the ground or lay it out from the run then put something heavy to hold it down.

The finished pond! Well, Phase I anyway. Our good friend that does landscape and hardscape work is going to add a small retaining wall on the left side of the pond area for a small pad for us to sit and watch Turner and Tucker as the are sooo relaxing to watch, this was all a project of love for him to do for my bride as she has just been told of a relapse (now stage 4) of her breast cancer. The challenge will be to see if the system will actually keep the water clean ... biofilter and microbes only, ablsoutely no chemicals. Time will tell. About 800-1,000 gallons.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom