Duck sitting and standing butt up

Moments

Songster
Jun 17, 2023
I have two khakis I got as a pair at 3 months old. They're 4 months now. Usually they're running around like Speedy Gonzales all over the place but this evening one of them is mostly stationary. When she walks she takes little steps, no limping. When she stands it's chest down, butt up and sometimes when she's laying down, but straight up. She hasn't started laying yet. I've never seen this with my 13 ducks before. She also vomited some mushy feed. I massaged her crop and didn't feel anything, just the bone of her neck @Miss Lydia

Attachments

• IMG_20240905_171941164.jpg
    IMG_20240905_171941164.jpg
    517 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20240905_181423762.jpg
    IMG_20240905_181423762.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I have two khakis I got as a pair at 3 months old. They're 4 months now. Usually they're running around like Speedy Gonzales all over the place but this evening one of them is mostly stationary. When she walks she takes little steps, no limping. When she stands it's chest down, butt up and sometimes when she's laying down, but straight up. She hasn't started laying yet. I've never seen this with my 13 ducks before. She also vomited some mushy feed. I massaged her crop and didn't feel anything, just the bone of her neck @Miss Lydia
@Moments is her chest always so heavy looking?

@Moments is her chest always so heavy looking?
it looks heavier than in the picture. I think it's cause of how she was standing. I checked her crop and it felt empty. Didn't feel any masses in there either. I took to the vet yesterday and she confirmed it was empty. She isn't doing it anymore but still not moving around a lot and just preferring to be in her pool. She's not eating anything really so the vet told me to tube feed her but it looks like the tube they gave me doesn't fit the syringe. So I gave the recovery formula to her thicker and just put a little in her mouth at a time. Might have gotten 15ml in her. Shes a small duck so hopefully it'll be ok

You can use aquarium tubing you just need to melt the end that goes into her crop so it won't cut her going down.Did giving her the 15 ml help with appetite? The vet didn't give any diagnosis?

You can use aquarium tubing you just need to melt the end that goes into her crop so it won't cut her going down.Did giving her the 15 ml help with appetite? The vet didn't give any diagnosis?
She wasn't really sure. She said because she was off balance when she lifted one of her legs it could me a neurological parasite. But again she's not sure and prescribed antibiotics and pain meds that have to be given with food. I guess the antibiotic takes 2 to 3 days to show improvement. I started giving to her last night and she seems like she's a little better today as far as movement but still not eating, other than possibly a little fresh dill I put in her pool. The 15ml was just given to her a couple hours ago.

The fact that she's seeming a little better before giving the 15ml and before the antibiotic is supposed to start working I'm wondering if she would've healed on her own.
For the tubing, isn't the rubber at the end supposed to secure to the end of the syringe tightly?

If she doesn't pick up eating soon Like next day or 2 I would def tube her they can lose ground pretty fast when they don't eat. Do you need the info on tubing I'll just give it to you anyway
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/
My main issue with tubing her is it doesn't look like they gave me a syringe and tube that fit each other. I have to do it on my own so I can't hold the tube and syringe together while holding the duck also. And there's nowhere to find them around here other than the vet which is 45 mins away and not open until Monday. Our ER vet just stopped taking poultry so can't go there either. I might see about another place I heard of but still wouldn't be able to until Monday. I had tried looking online a while back but couldn't find anything that would seem to work.

Back
Top Bottom