Duckling with crusty anus

Tducks

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2023
Rockland county
Hi,
I have 1 week old ducklings from metzer farms. 2 white layers, 2 magpies, 1 runner. I am feeding them purina flock raiser. They are in a kiddie pool bedded with woodchips. And they have a chicken waterer for food.
I noticed today that my layers have crusty anus' (see attached photos) and are only pooping little squirts (sorry for being graphic). Yesterday i gave everyone spinache and i noticed that their poops were less watery later on.
Does anyone know what might have caused this and what i shld do about it. Shld i give them a pool even though they are so little?
Thank you

Attachments

• 20230913_102533.jpg
    20230913_102533.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 20230913_102359.jpg
    20230913_102359.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 13
It’s a pretty common ailment, called pasty butt . here’s a good article on how to take care of it and how to prevent it from returning.
https://amerpoultryassn.com/2022/01/pasting-what-it-is-and-what-to-do/

. some quick question are you adding 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast per cup of feed So they get the extra niacin that they need?
…. they are too young for the spinach treats, but since you gave them some, you must provide chick grit in a little bowl right next to their food they will take what they need. In the future be advised spinach is not a good treat for them. Lettuce or kale is better. There’s some thing in spinach that they shouldn’t have.
One more thing I don’t know what the protein content is in the flock raiser crumbles ? I’m not sure if it’s suitable for ducklings or not… I always start my ducklings on a chick starter crumble and switch to a flock raiser after they are a couple of months old. and Continue to add a tablespoon of nutritional yeast per cup of feed.
But first things first, read that article and take care of those adorable little pasty butts 🥰💕🥰. @cheezenkwackers

Thank you so much
I cleaned up my ducklings.
The paste was not caused by temperature or water additive problems so ill blame it on the treats with no grit.
Do you think i need to provide them with duckling grit now for what they ate yesterday?
i will not be feeding them more treats untill they are old enough for the oyster shell grit.
The purina flock raiser has 20% protein which is enough for ducklings. It shld have enough niacin for ducklings too but i didnt see it mentioned on the package. Do you think i shld give them nutritional yeast just to be safe? If yes for how long do you recomend supplementing this for?
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom