I do not know anything about non-GMO chick starter and that is probably not your issue,
but since you're having so much trouble I would recommend going ahead and changing their feed and just see if you have better results.
a lot of the duck peeps on here raise ducklings from the start with Purina flock raiser with success.
I use nutrena naturewise meat bird and have not needed to supplement with niacin.
After about six or seven weeks I switch to nutrena all flock.

I would also recommend watching your brooder temperature a bit closer to ensure that they're actually not overheating and becoming dehydrated.
I tend to have more trouble with brooder temps being too warm then too cool.
100° is a little bit too hot in my opinion past the first few hours.

It seems to me that the silly things will huddle under it sometimes even if they're panting.. because it feels good and they can let themselves get dehydrated.
Here is a general guide on brooder temperature from the duck sticky Topic index.
Heat
Ducklings need a brooder that is about 90° for the first week and then the temperature should be lowered by 5° each week afterwards. Once the temperature in the brooder is the same as the environment (inside or outside) the heat source can be removed. A thermometer is a great investment for someone new to brooding. The heat lamp should be placed so that the ducklings can get away from the heat if needed. Overheating is just as dangerous as chilling for ducklings.
Feeders and waterers should be placed at the perimeter of the heat source. Ducklings may not go to eat and drink if the area is too hot or too cold.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings.750869/

I do not know anything about non-GMO chick starter and that is probably not your issue,
but since you're having so much trouble I would recommend going ahead and changing their feed and just see if you have better results.
a lot of the duck peeps on here raise ducklings from the start with Purina flock raiser with success.
I use nutrena naturewise meat bird and have not needed to supplement with niacin.
After about six or seven weeks I switch to nutrena all flock.

I would also recommend watching your brooder temperature a bit closer to ensure that they're actually not overheating and becoming dehydrated.
I tend to have more trouble with brooder temps being too warm then too cool.
100° is a little bit too hot in my opinion past the first few hours.

It seems to me that the silly things will huddle under it sometimes even if they're panting.. because it feels good and they can let themselves get dehydrated.
Here is a general guide on brooder temperature from the duck sticky Topic index.
Heat
Ducklings need a brooder that is about 90° for the first week and then the temperature should be lowered by 5° each week afterwards. Once the temperature in the brooder is the same as the environment (inside or outside) the heat source can be removed. A thermometer is a great investment for someone new to brooding. The heat lamp should be placed so that the ducklings can get away from the heat if needed. Overheating is just as dangerous as chilling for ducklings.
Feeders and waterers should be placed at the perimeter of the heat source. Ducklings may not go to eat and drink if the area is too hot or too cold.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings.750869/
:goodpost:

Its probably not a disease. I was on here a while back with the same issues. I ended up with 21 out of 40. Hatchery ducks do not have a good success rate. Thats my take. Get nutradrech and B12 at TSC and put it in their water every other water change. Hit em hard with it too. I did that from the ones I got from ideal and they stopped dying after that.

I dont understand why yet, but hatchery ducks are just a gamble. Id like to hatch good eggs from someone and raise up ducking from that to see how big of a difference it makes not shipping them and getting them on b12, Nutradrech, water, feed and all instantly.

They dont need as much heat either, 90 the first two weeks with cooler spots. Then lower it every week. I did learn that with my last batch. Im going to cut heat way sooner. By 3 weeks old 70 and above no supplemental heat. Their down is thick. Jmo

Back
Top Bottom