NewJourney

Songster
Jul 4, 2023
Pahrump, NV
Stupidly, I bought some chicks and ducklings from someone near me. I realize now it was a "backyard breeder" situation and I should have avoid the situation. What's done is done.

I bought 6 Old English Game Bantams in varying stages of age (something like 1 week through 4 weeks of age) and 4 ducklings, three of which have major bald patches and are younger than the last, from different parents. I was told they hatched that way and that they are called "naked neck ducks" - like the naked neck chicken breed. The older duckling that seems to be a Khaki Blue Swedish mix. Cute as can be, looks and acts normal. (pictures at the end of the post)

The three tiny OEGB had failure to thrive and have passed as did one of the "naked neck" ducklings which seemed to have wry neck.
I figured it out too late, but I'm not sure it could have been saved anyway. By the time I managed to get Selenium and Vit E drops delivered (none were available locally) it had already died, earlier that morning. I treated the two other siblings that seemed like they might have a slight wry neck starting and after a few treatments I no longer notice any issue with them other than their baldness.

My questions regarding the ducks are:
1. What would cause the balding issue in freshly hatched ducklings?
2. How common is this?
3. Should I be supplementing any specific nutrient or types of foods to help with this feathering issue?
4. Is there a known "disease" or other kind of health condition where this patchiness happens? If so, what else tends to coincide with it? In other words - what should I be doing to help the health of these strange babies?

I see no evidence of mites or skin irritation except perhaps from the red heat lamp they have access to. The heat lamp is a 75 watt red heat bulb. Their area is large enough they can easily get away from the lamp if they like. I'm currently building an outdoor enclosure for the three remaining OEGB and these ducklings.

I will be keeping these two bald ones separated from my main flock. Depending on if the KC/Blue Swedish mix grows and acts normally I may introduce it to my flock but only if it's a hen, not a drake. I already have 4 drakes. I have no idea yet if these three ducklings are male or female. These special ducklings are only a week or so old. I will give them the best life I can, until they decide they can't continue. I consider these birds rescues, more like pets, than my other chickens and ducks simply because of what seems to be poor genetics. I've not had losses or issues like this before, so this is largely concerning to me.

Thank you for your input.

Duckling 1:
bald-2-2.JPEG
bald-2.JPEG

Duckling 2:
bald-1-back.JPEG
bald-1.JPEG

KC/Blue Swedish mix(?):
It did NOT like me handling it for photos.
unnamedkcbsduck.JPEG
unnamedkcbsduck-2.JPEG

I have never seen that before. Could be another bird was plucking it. The feathers should eventually grow back. Make sure to feed a ration formulated for growing waterfowl.

@NewJourney Here is a little info thanks to @Papaye on naked neck ducks. I thought they originated from France and seems they do. Probably more info if you look into French name. Seem to be newer and rare hope some of this info helps, (would love to see updates as they grow) :thumbsup
Naked-Neck ducks - "Canards Cou-Nu" - are a pretty new breed originated from, or at least approved in, Lorraine (FRANCE).

They actually are Mallard ducks,
but with a neck devoid of feathers, a partially bald head, a partially defeathered abdomen, tarsi and toes devoid of scales, and atrophied rump and flight feathers.

Since they technically are Mallard ducks, their size and weight are the same.
(Even though, for what it's worth : I heard Naked-Neck Ducks actually seem to be on the small size compared with healthy, normal Mallards...?)

...These Naked-Neck ducks' appearance is due to a genetic mutation appeared, ACCIDENTALLY, in 1992...

The Naked-Neck Duck was then shown in Metz in November 1997 in order to be approved as a breed; but from what I know, the approval has actually been made effective only in February 2002.

...In spite of the fact they lack so much feathers, Naked-Neck ducks are said to be well-suited to cold climate.

But informations are really hard to find, since given there are very few breeders, these ducks are rare.
They are indeed not easy to find, and so, to procure.

(And, if we are to be honest : Naked-Neck ducks are interesting, but not beautiful, cute, nice to look at... and so, they are not wanted/popular.)

@NewJourney Here is a little info thanks to @Papaye on naked neck ducks. I thought they originated from France and seems they do. Probably more info if you look into French name. Seem to be newer and rare hope some of this info helps, (would love to see updates as they grow) :thumbsup
Naked-Neck ducks - "Canards Cou-Nu" - are a pretty new breed originated from, or at least approved in, Lorraine (FRANCE).

They actually are Mallard ducks,
but with a neck devoid of feathers, a partially bald head, a partially defeathered abdomen, tarsi and toes devoid of scales, and atrophied rump and flight feathers.

...In spite of the fact they lack so much feathers, Naked-Neck ducks are said to be well-suited to cold climate.

(And, if we are to be honest : Naked-Neck ducks are interesting, but not beautiful, cute, nice to look at... and so, they are not wanted/popular.)

Thank you for this information. The only information I could find online was in French, and I do not know French. So, they are basically genetic mishaps of the Mallard variety. These ducklings are yellow with darker feathers starting to grow in. I just looked up mallard ducklings and they do not resemble mallards in their current stage of life (maybe two weeks old at this point?).

The descriptions regarding the defeathered neck, partially bald head, defeathered abdomen, and scaleless tarsi and toes. Do I need to do anthing special to the ground they walk on because of the lack of scales? How does this work?

I feel like I'm in over my head with these ducks and the OEGB I adopted along with them. The OEGB aren't doing well (I've lost the three smallest ones, and the two slightly older ones don't look healthy, thought he oldest one looks similarly "sad" or "tired". IDK. I may need to buy corrid? Maybe they have non-bloody coccidia? Their poo is runny and ruddy colored, but I don't see actual blood. The ducklings in with them seem fine and perky.

I'm hesitant to keep them. I don't know how I would give them or sell them to someone knowing they all seem to not be doing well, considering I lost three OEGB and one of the naked necks ducklings had wry neck and I figured it out too late to be able to treat it. It was so sad. My heart has broken with these little babies.

Hi!

I was told they hatched that way and that they are called "naked neck ducks" - like the naked neck chicken breed.

These ducklings look to be Naked-Neck ducks, indeed...

These ducklings are yellow with darker feathers starting to grow in.

There are White Naked-Neck ducks.

Here is a video where you can see them with different colours : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLnWmHlFwGI

I just looked up mallard ducklings and they do not resemble mallards in their current stage of life (maybe two weeks old at this point?).

Here are Naked-Neck ducklings looking to be as old as yours : https://www.youtube.com/shorts/VFai93O-cFk

I think they look the same...!

Do I need to do anthing special to the ground they walk on because of the lack of scales? How does this work?

I can not find any information about it, so I don't think you have to worry about their lack of scales...?

Nevertheless : it is adviced to raise Naked-Neck separately from other breeds.
(I can not tell if you eventually could let them freerange with other breeds once adults... or even if you really NEED to keep them separated...)

(I've lost the three smallest ones, and the two slightly older ones don't look healthy, thought he oldest one looks similarly "sad" or "tired". IDK. I may need to buy corrid? Maybe they have non-bloody coccidia? Their poo is runny and ruddy colored, but I don't see actual blood. The ducklings in with them seem fine and perky.

Look... they are not my ducklings, but if they were, I would hurry to mix food grade Diatomaceous Earth with their feed - everyday, AT LEAST until they are more grown up : it could only help them.

(I'm raising my ducklings by putting food grade Diatomaceous Earth in their feed - in PLASTIC feeders -, and never had I one sick or weak.
On the contrary : my ducklings eventually grow up to be strong, healthy ducks.)

I'm hesitant to keep them. I don't know how I would give them or sell them to someone knowing they all seem to not be doing well, considering I lost three OEGB and one of the naked necks ducklings had wry neck and I figured it out too late to be able to treat it. It was so sad. My heart has broken with these little babies.

You are not lucky, but it is not too late to help your current ducklings.

Good luck!

Stupidly, I bought some chicks and ducklings from someone near me. I realize now it was a "backyard breeder" situation and I should have avoid the situation. What's done is done.

I bought 6 Old English Game Bantams in varying stages of age (something like 1 week through 4 weeks of age) and 4 ducklings, three of which have major bald patches and are younger than the last, from different parents. I was told they hatched that way and that they are called "naked neck ducks" - like the naked neck chicken breed. The older duckling that seems to be a Khaki Blue Swedish mix. Cute as can be, looks and acts normal. (pictures at the end of the post)

The three tiny OEGB had failure to thrive and have passed as did one of the "naked neck" ducklings which seemed to have wry neck.
I figured it out too late, but I'm not sure it could have been saved anyway. By the time I managed to get Selenium and Vit E drops delivered (none were available locally) it had already died, earlier that morning. I treated the two other siblings that seemed like they might have a slight wry neck starting and after a few treatments I no longer notice any issue with them other than their baldness.

My questions regarding the ducks are:
1. What would cause the balding issue in freshly hatched ducklings?
2. How common is this?
3. Should I be supplementing any specific nutrient or types of foods to help with this feathering issue?
4. Is there a known "disease" or other kind of health condition where this patchiness happens? If so, what else tends to coincide with it? In other words - what should I be doing to help the health of these strange babies?

I see no evidence of mites or skin irritation except perhaps from the red heat lamp they have access to. The heat lamp is a 75 watt red heat bulb. Their area is large enough they can easily get away from the lamp if they like. I'm currently building an outdoor enclosure for the three remaining OEGB and these ducklings.

I will be keeping these two bald ones separated from my main flock. Depending on if the KC/Blue Swedish mix grows and acts normally I may introduce it to my flock but only if it's a hen, not a drake. I already have 4 drakes. I have no idea yet if these three ducklings are male or female. These special ducklings are only a week or so old. I will give them the best life I can, until they decide they can't continue. I consider these birds rescues, more like pets, than my other chickens and ducks simply because of what seems to be poor genetics. I've not had losses or issues like this before, so this is largely concerning to me.

Thank you for your input.

Duckling 1:
View attachment 3875947
View attachment 3875948

Duckling 2:
View attachment 3875949
View attachment 3875950

KC/Blue Swedish mix(?):
It did NOT like me handling it for photos.
View attachment 3875965
View attachment 3875964
@NewJourney
Go to TSC and pick up some "Poultry Cell" start them on it ASAP.
What are you feeding them? They will also need some kind of niacin supplement Nutritional Yeast is a good one. 1 Tablespoon to each cup of feed you give them, good for all poultry. The poultry cell is also good for all of them. It will help build their immune system.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/rooster-booster-poultry-cell-16-oz

@NewJourney
Go to TSC and pick up some "Poultry Cell" start them on it ASAP.
What are you feeding them? They will also need some kind of niacin supplement Nutritional Yeast is a good one. 1 Tablespoon to each cup of feed you give them, good for all poultry. The poultry cell is also good for all of them. It will help build their immune system.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/rooster-booster-poultry-cell-16-oz

Because I have a severe wheat allergy I have to buy feed that doesn't contain wheat, which is very difficult to find. I feed (and have fed all the chicks and ducklings I have raised thus far) DuMor 24% Meat Bird crumble in the 10 lb bags. The 50 lb bags have wheat in them. For my ducklings I have always bought and added Nutritional Yeast to their feed daily to ensure they get all the B vitamins they need (including Niacin). I tend to stop feeding the yeast/niacin sometime after 10 weeks of age. I've seen 8 weeks of age is the end point in needing niacin, so I continue to supplement until they seem fully grown (by 14 weeks).

So far I've raised 13 ducklings in three separate groupings by doing this and they are all healthy and happy, as are my chickens, except for these OEGB that I purchased with these naked-neck ducklings.

I realize that the OEGB have smaller beaks than standard sized chicks and need smaller crumble, and I have soaked the crumble and they don't seem interested. I had tried to give the egg yolk, not interested. Egg yolk mixed with crumble, not interested. Tuna, not interested. It's like they just don't give a flip about anything and eat mimimally to survive. :(

I will go buy poultry cell and see if that perks them up. Thank you.

Because I have a severe wheat allergy I have to buy feed that doesn't contain wheat, which is very difficult to find. I feed (and have fed all the chicks and ducklings I have raised thus far) DuMor 24% Meat Bird crumble in the 10 lb bags. The 50 lb bags have wheat in them. For my ducklings I have always bought and added Nutritional Yeast to their feed daily to ensure they get all the B vitamins they need (including Niacin). I tend to stop feeding the yeast/niacin sometime after 10 weeks of age. I've seen 8 weeks of age is the end point in needing niacin, so I continue to supplement until they seem fully grown (by 14 weeks).

So far I've raised 13 ducklings in three separate groupings by doing this and they are all healthy and happy, as are my chickens, except for these OEGB that I purchased with these naked-neck ducklings.

I realize that the OEGB have smaller beaks than standard sized chicks and need smaller crumble, and I have soaked the crumble and they don't seem interested. I had tried to give the egg yolk, not interested. Egg yolk mixed with crumble, not interested. Tuna, not interested. It's like they just don't give a flip about anything and eat mimimally to survive. :(

I will go buy poultry cell and see if that perks them up. Thank you.
Hopefully things get better with your OEGB. Sounds like you have had good success with ducklings/ducks so you shouldn't have a problem with these. Would love to see updates as these ducklings grow.

I have had OEGB and they have been healthy little birds Only problem I have had is them flying out of their fencing and getting taken by a predator I only have 1 left now my tiny rooster. Sounds like these little ones got off to a rough start. Hopefully the poultry cell will help.

Back
Top Bottom