Ducklings

lacychappell4

Songster
May 31, 2021
Hoovers Hatchery choice of ducklings based on availability with a minimum of 3 breeds. Breeds that could be in the assortment is Pekin, Rouen, Khaki Campbell, Blue Swedish, Black Swedish, White Crested, Fawn & White Runner, Black Runner, Blue Runner, Chocolate Runner, Saxony, Silver Appleyard, Golden 300 and White Layer. This assortment will provide beauty to your backyard, eggs, pest control, and are also a good source of meat.

My TSC gets assorted ducklings from Hoovers Hatchery is there anyway to tell breeds apart as ducklings .
I want to get some more ducks and was interested in the Silver Appleyard ducklings and Golden Layer 300 , Saxony and the blue/black Swedish . How do I tell them apart ? Do I just look up the ducklings while I am there and compare pictures. Is there an easier way ?
I would by from a hatchery but USPS hasn't been reliable this year with anything live I have ordered this year so... I don't want dead ducklings again.
My locale TSC has been having a pretty good selection with healthy birds.
I have a pair Magpie Ducks and decided I want more ducks with a verity of breeds IDC if there frequent layers or if they make good meat birds . They will be strictly pets .

Well I am going tomorrow to play roulette with duck breeds .
I guess it really doesn't matter I just wanted to get ducks with the same temperament
Calm and docile and not flighty and nervous.

KC and Runners would be in the class of more high strung. I have Buffs that are laid back. Most breeds if you spend time with them aren't too flighty. And my Muscovy is laid back these are the only breeds I have so can't really speak of other breeds.

Ducklings for most breeds have a unique look. Unfortunately most TSC workers do not know the breeds of the ducklings in there bin. The silverapple yards will have little dark Mohawks on yellow, but I have not seen them at my TSC. Most of the time our tsc just has Pekins which are yellow and khaki which are brown(flighty sometimes) I would recommend looking up pictures of Hoover's ducklings before purchasing.

KC and Runners would be in the class of more high strung. I have Buffs that are laid back. Most breeds if you spend time with them aren't too flighty. And my Muscovy is laid back these are the only breeds I have so can't really speak of other breeds.
I have Magpies and don't really know what to look for to look for to tell ducklings apart

Hoovers Hatchery choice of ducklings based on availability with a minimum of 3 breeds. Breeds that could be in the assortment is Pekin, Rouen, Khaki Campbell, Blue Swedish, Black Swedish, White Crested, Fawn & White Runner, Black Runner, Blue Runner, Chocolate Runner, Saxony, Silver Appleyard, Golden 300 and White Layer. This assortment will provide beauty to your backyard, eggs, pest control, and are also a good source of meat.

My TSC gets assorted ducklings from Hoovers Hatchery is there anyway to tell breeds apart as ducklings .
I want to get some more ducks and was interested in the Silver Appleyard ducklings and Golden Layer 300 , Saxony and the blue/black Swedish . How do I tell them apart ? Do I just look up the ducklings while I am there and compare pictures. Is there an easier way ?
I would by from a hatchery but USPS hasn't been reliable this year with anything live I have ordered this year so... I don't want dead ducklings again.
My locale TSC has been having a pretty good selection with healthy birds.
I have a pair Magpie Ducks and decided I want more ducks with a verity of breeds IDC if there frequent layers or if they make good meat birds . They will be strictly pets .
Every time I’ve been to TSC all ducks no matter the breed are in the same bin labeled “assorted”. Like someone else mentioned they’re usually pekins or khakis. I did get lucky once and got 2 blue Swedish from my TSC. I didn’t know what they were so I just did some googling while I was at the store and was able to tell they were blue Swedish. The employee there “strongly disagreed” on my breed guess and assured me they weren’t blue Swedish, I ignored him and bought them anyways. They’re now coming up on a year and without a doubt blue Swedish. So do your own research, don’t solely go on the employees info.

Ducklings for most breeds have a unique look. Unfortunately most TSC workers do not know the breeds of the ducklings in there bin. The silverapple yards will have little dark Mohawks on yellow, but I have not seen them at my TSC. Most of the time our tsc just has Pekins which are yellow and khaki which are brown(flighty sometimes) I would recommend looking up pictures of Hoover's ducklings before purchasing.
If the right employee is in she is pretty good with breeds but I used my phone to pick my Bantam chicks . Mine has a decent selection of ducklings 🐥. They have had silver appleyards and Golden 300 and Swedish in.

Every time I’ve been to TSC all ducks no matter the breed are in the same bin labeled “assorted”. Like someone else mentioned they’re usually pekins or khakis. I did get lucky once and got 2 blue Swedish from my TSC. I didn’t know what they were so I just did some googling while I was at the store and was able to tell they were blue Swedish. The employee there “strongly disagreed” on my breed guess and assured me they weren’t blue Swedish, I ignored him and bought them anyways. They’re now coming up on a year and without a doubt blue Swedish. So do your own research, don’t solely go on the employees info.
I used my phone in store to pick my Bantam chicks from the assorted bin . I guess I just will do the same thing

I used my phone in store to pick my Bantam chicks from the assorted bin . I guess I just will do the same thing
That’s what I would do, I’m not saying ignore the employees advice, just do your own research as well. Good luck, I hope you find what you’re looking for and share pics with us!

Back
Top Bottom