Dying rooster - How to care for him in his last moments...?

Pics
That is a bit strange to say. A good chicken, not killed by a predator or a human, can easily become 10 and even 15 yo. I’m not talking about laying hybrids but about old heritages breeds and mixes from a large gene pool.

If a really old chicken can become over 20 yo. It seems more realistic to multiply with 5 and not with 10. Therefore I believe your oldest is almost ‘80’ compared with humans.

Nicely spoken.
Thank you @BDutch. I don’t often give my opinion on these things, because the conversation can get out of control and feelings hurt. People are passionate about their birds. I certainly am. But during the heat of the debate, people also forget about the very real heartache the original poster is feeling, and I feel sad about that.

Ok, I killed my first chicken when I was nine. Your gonna be fine, lop his head off and move on. Its a chicken, people, a chicken.
As you can see from the thread, they’re looking for advice on what to do, not how they should be acting. Sorry but how you said that really rubbed me the wrong way.

Last edited:
OP, i had the *exact* same thing happen with my silkie. I kept her in my room, manually feeding her, giving her water, because she couldn’t stand. One day i heard her struggle to poop and i knew it was cruel keeping her alive. This wasn’t any life to live, where you can’t walk, can’t eat or drink on your own, and can’t even poop. She was just a shell of the chicken i once had, and although she still was there, she wasn’t really there.

In my opinion, i think it might be time to put your rooster down, whatever method it might be. I’m sure it’s hard, clearly you care for him a lot, but if you don’t see a chance in recovery, why keep him there?

Obviously, do what you think is right. Praying for you and your bird

silkie. I kept her in my room, manually feeding her, giving her water, because she couldn’t stand. One day i heard her struggle to poop and i knew it was cruel keeping her alive. This wasn’t any life to live, where you can’t walk, can’t eat or drink on your own, and can’t even poop. She was just a shell of the chicken i once had, and although she still was there, she wasn’t really there

This post has not only frustrated me, but made me once again realize how much I respect & love all my babies..furry, feathered or scaled..(fish and lizards alike) there will always be a different opinion, maybe this is a way to appreciate what we have..and not get sucked into a debate on who knows best. I just know we are all here to support each other. I'm curious as to what happened to Apache.. there hasn't been an update?!?!

Back
Top Bottom