Easiest way to raise chicks

If you're looking for an easy solution for a small scale setup that doesn't break the bank I have been extremely happy with my 50 gallon Rubbermaid setup!

This is the one I use.
View attachment 1989217

Heat plates are the way to go in my opinion! They're more natural to the chicks, they won't make a peep at night when they're sleeping because there's no light on to keep them awake, and most importantly, they aren't a fire hazard like heat lamps. Glad Press 'n Seal plastic wrap can be placed on top of the heat plate for easy cleanup. Just peel the old sheet off and replace it when necessary. Must be press n' seal, the regular plastic wrap will not stick.

Titan 12"x12" heat plate shown with Glad Press 'n Seal wrap on top.
View attachment 1989231

Heat plate tip: If you get a heat plate with several tiny height adjustments like shown I always set my heat plate on a slight angle so that the chicks can choose whether they want more or less heat under it. For example, the back is low enough that the chicks can lay down and still be close to the heat plate or come in contact with it when standing, but the front has a bit more room. This is also great when raising chicks of different sizes. PS, the plate is hot to the touch but it is a safe temperature for the chicks to touch the plate, see images below.
View attachment 1989243 View attachment 1989244

I use Equine Pine Pellets in the brooder instead of pine shavings and there is far less dust created from them and they reduce the smell. This is far from necessary but I have found this makes clean up a breeze in the brooder! I first place puppy wee pads down before spreading pine pellets. That way I can fold the pad up, throw it away, and replace it when it's time to clean the brooder. So easy!

View attachment 1989238
I have been using this set up all year and it worked perfectly for several hatches, chicks, turkey poults, goslings, and peachicks (quail I started on wee pads only because they're so tiny!). I greatly preferred it to any method I've tried in the past. At around 3 weeks you will need to place a wire top over the brooder so that the chicks don't fly out. This is typically when I move mine to my outdoor set up.
:goodpost: This is all good advice! However, I use the Sweeter Heater rather than the Premiere Heating Plate. I had very bad experience with the latter one as it burned my little chick. It was too hot for me to hold my hand on it. The Sweeter Heater provides radiant heat and works like a dream!:goodpost:

:goodpost: This is all good advice! However, I use the Sweeter Heater rather than the Premiere Heating Plate. I had very bad experience with the latter one as it burned my little chick. It was too hot for me to hold my hand on it. The Sweeter Heater provides radiant heat and works like a dream!:goodpost:

Good to know! Others should use caution with my advice if using a Premier plate then!
I've never used the Premier heat plate. I like the Titan, the yellow one I have pictured, it was the most reasonably priced on Amazon at the time and I now have two brooders with the identical set up and fortunately the temps stayed very consistent with both plates all year!

I use a rabbit hutch lined with paper towels for the first few days with a heat plate. After 3 days or so they go outside to the mini coop, with the heat plate, and at 4 weeks I start integration into the the flock. The mini coop has a combination of large flake pine shavings and pine pellets.

I've had 14 chicken chicks in the brooder.

Hard to say because everyone's situation is different. I hatch out a lot of chicks every year. I have a brooder cabinet with wire on the bottom with poop trays under the wire. The chicks stay clean as well as their feed and water. I use regular incandescent bulbs for heat. I put paper towel down for the first few days while the chicks are finding their legs then I take it out and no mess. Good luck with whatever you do and have fun...
View attachment 1986654
I'm suffering from brooder envy - That is an awesome set up!

@NNYchick is the bottom removeable and washable on that puppy playpen? if not, what do you put down?
Yes the bottom unzips and it is washable. It also has a mesh top that zips on.
I did put shaving in there and then just used a broom and dust pan to clean them out after, took it outside hosed it down and let it dry in the sun.

I raise only one or two chicks as needed. I start them in a cardboard box with a heat lamp and newspapers in the bottom. I have had them in my kitchen in past, but if I decide on a chick or two this year, they may end up in the spare bedroom. I eventually put them in a large dog cage with newspaper on the bottom and clean it every day as well. When I put them in the pen, they are usually 10-12 weeks old when it is warm outside.

Back
Top Bottom