Easter Egger Old Age?

Nocila

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 23, 2012
So, about two weeks ago, we moved our birds to a new coop, and now, knock on wood, nothing can get in.

We lost two birds to cocci in the past month, but they are all on medication to treat it at the moment.

I checked for eggs about an hour ago, and found one of my Easter Eggers dead in the pen. She wasn't next to the fence, so she couldn't have been attacked through it, and she didn't appear to have any signs of injury. She's roughly 4-5 years old, and I'm wondering if it is likely she died of old age. When I moved her out of the coop, it looked like she was dripping a yellowish liquid from her beak, eyes, or nose (I'm not sure which, but it was definitely coming from her face). Any thoughts on what might have happened to her? I've never lost birds to old age before, so I don't really know what to expect...

Not old age, is my bet. Even if she wasn't dead near the fence doesn't mean she didn't get harmed though it, though, it's still a possibility.

Sounds like illness though if she was dripping yellow fluid from the face area. Did you bury her already? Autopsies are sometimes invaluable for finding information that can save other lives. If it is illness, and it's contagious, the others may well have it too, and knowing what you're dealing with can make the difference between wasting time on incorrect treatments and losing them, and initially starting the correct treatments and keeping them.

Best wishes, and sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom