Easter Egger Sexing "tips and tricks" *Pictures Included*

The little gold one has no comb(might be single), and her legs are orange with some greenish tinting. There is a big difference in the amounts of feathers that the blue and green dyed ones have. The blue one has feathering all down her belly, lots of feathers on her flank, and she's starting to get head feathers where as the green dyed on has barely any belly feathers, very thin flank feathers, and little to no head feathers starting. We're still leaning toward blue=pullet, green= roo

choco belly

choco side

choco thigh

green belly

green side

green thigh

Last edited:
I hope you guys can excuse my ignorance. I guess it's just denial. I do not want to believe that my only three to hatch 6 weeks ago are all boys. I think the combs speak for themselves but I'm not seeing any pointed feathers near the neck or tail. Sorry, the denial runs deep.

I hope you guys can excuse my ignorance. I guess it's just denial. I do not want to believe that my only three to hatch 6 weeks ago are all boys. I think the combs speak for themselves but I'm not seeing any pointed feathers near the neck or tail. Sorry, the denial runs deep.

Hi Christine. Pointed saddle and hackle feathers do not grow until a cockerel is about 12 weeks old. At 6 weeks, the only real clues to sexing your chicks are the combs, wattles (if any develop), and overall feather coloring and pattern. Since your chicks are mostly solid and EE with no wattles, the only thing to examine are the combs. #3 is probably a cockerel with a wide raised comb at a relatively young age. I think #2 is also likely a cockerel, with a slightly less developed comb. #1 might be a pullet. Makes it harder when the combs are the only clue, so you can't really be sure for another week or two.

Hi Christine.  Pointed saddle and hackle feathers do not grow until a cockerel is about 12 weeks old.  At 6 weeks, the only real clues to sexing your chicks are the combs, wattles (if any develop), and overall feather coloring and pattern.  Since your chicks are mostly solid and EE with no wattles, the only thing to examine are the combs.  #3 is probably a cockerel with a wide raised comb at a relatively young age.  I think #2 is also likely a cockerel, with a slightly less developed comb.  #1 might be a pullet.  Makes it harder when the combs are the only clue, so you can't really be sure for another week or two. 

I can hardly take it anymore. I'm trying to not get too attached to birds that will have to go. I appreciate your opinion.

Just got four EE's today. Of course they were advertised as Ameraucanas (sp?). They are supposed to be pullets, I sure hope so. I tried to follow all the advice from on here but then just gave up. It is just too overwhelming. I did avoid any really light ones or ones with a lot of white.
Any thought from some of you experts?

The second one down is a very soft brown. Sorry the last one would not hold still.

Just got four EE's today. Of course they were advertised as Ameraucanas (sp?). They are supposed to be pullets, I sure hope so. I tried to follow all the advice from on here but then just gave up. It is just too overwhelming. I did avoid any really light ones or ones with a lot of white.
Any thought from some of you experts?

The second one down is a very soft brown. Sorry the last one would not hold still.
I have one that had the chipmunk look when she was a chick and now she looks like this

crowcreek, in my opinion, those are incredibly cute chicks.
big_smile.png
They are, however, far too young to sex other than by flipping a coin. 4 weeks is usually the earliest you can begin to guess, 6 weeks you can be a little more accurate, and at 8 weeks fairly confident. Sometimes it takes longer. If you got sexed pullets, they usually are pullets (90%) so your chances are good. Hope you can post back in a few weeks. Meanwhile take lots of pics, and enjoy those little darlings.

Yeah I figured that. Well I am going to will them to be pullets. I have had bad luck with roosters in the past year. They are so much quieter and sweeter than my buff brahmas were. I love my brahmas but they can be skittish. These little gals just sit quiet in my hand. I also got two langshans to try. They are also sweet and quiet. I will take a bunch of pictures as they grow and change
Dianne88 I hope she is as beautiful as yours!

Back
Top Bottom