Eastern Tennessee Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to ask. i was thinking about sand in the coop as well. In very heavy rain we have a lil river thru ours. Hubby dug a trough down the center and that stopped the water from standing. I was thinking our pea gravel on the bottom and river sand over the top of that. River sand is very cheap here. Free if your lucky. You think it will work? Or is the soft fine ground sand better.

I have to ask. i was thinking about sand in the coop as well. In very heavy rain we have a lil river thru ours. Hubby dug a trough down the center and that stopped the water from standing. I was thinking our pea gravel on the bottom and river sand over the top of that. River sand is very cheap here. Free if your lucky. You think it will work? Or is the soft fine ground sand better.

DO you mean the run...or does your coop have a dirt floor now?

LOL....
The idea has been around several years but I had always shied away thinking it was kind of nuts. I like it though and this is one time I did not mind being the experimentor for the group (actually I think Terri had it in her run before I had it in my coop)
It is going to save me a ton of money...but like I said before "the downside is you need to spend a few minutes daily to do the poopy scoopy thing
lol.png

DO you mean the run...or does your coop have a dirt floor now?

The run dirt floor. Not worried so much about the coop the thick layer of hay we put down works well. The coop itself has vinyl floors and no lip at the double open doors. I just rake it out and replace it once a week. Once a month or so I scrub it down with soap and bleach. Then mop it out. But I'm adding more hens this summer from our chicks. Then I'll have to do it more often. The yard is low so in heavy rain water stands in areas. We are working on that. A french drain down to the creek along the road should take care of that side. But the water pours off the hills around us. We didn't know at the time when we built the coop the area was a low spot. So I was thinking sand in the run would build it up and be easier to rake up food and litter.

bairo - the only problem with recording it is it always happens when I'm just walking around not paying attention to my surroundings... So, I hit things, like walls, metal objects, you name it.
tongue.gif
to the entertainment part...

TNchick - no problem, have you thought about using it in your next chicken coop? It helps to keep cleaning the coops easier, or at least for me it does since I use OSB for floors and walls...

Edit: Oh, I became an aunt again today! My oldest sister welcomed her 2nd child into the world, it was a boy this time!

I have it in my current coop! I love it. Makes cleaning day so much easier. Don't' think I will be building a new coop anytime soon. I have no room for another one. Have to wait until I can afford to buy a farm.
hmm.png
Which isn't getting here fast enough!
he.gif

Sand in the coop.

What a wonderful Idea.

Cheaper than pine shavings.

I may paint the coop sea foam green and the girls will think they are out on the beach year round.
ohh what if I painted my house sea foam green and put sand on the floor. It would be like, I drove from work to the beach every day!
celebrate.gif
I'm liking this idea!
woot.gif
So instead of being all ticked off that I have to go home and clean. I can go home and relax at the beach. I need a palm tree!
lau.gif
I bet someone has done this and its on Pinterest!

@Stang- If it makes you feel better I walk into doors regularly. Particularly if someone is watching me. Like clients LOL! I also have a 3rd foot I trip over all the time.

I am so ready to do sand, I just want to let it dry out a little bit first.

@Stang- If it makes you feel better I walk into doors regularly. Particularly if someone is watching me. Like clients LOL! I also have a 3rd foot I trip over all the time.

I am so ready to do sand, I just want to let it dry out a little bit first.

LOL! I'm not alone!
hugs.gif
I get it from my grandmother! I have a scar on the bottom of my foot from falling through the couch, the day we were leaving for a week long vacation to Florida! I had to walk on the side of my foot down the beach.
hmm.png
My grandmother was walking down the stairs a month back and fell, was air borne and landed on her hip...thankfully my grandmother has strong bones, she couldn't walk very well for a while but she's back up and running like before. She had a HUGE bruise from that fall. I guess I'm glad I don't have stairs in my house....

I have about 6 inches sand in my run but not in my coop. I tried it in the coop and I just couldn't get all the poop out of the sand... it was last summer and the flies and smell where bad... so I put pine back in it. I think my sand was not fine enough maybe?? I got river sand and not beach sand. It also compresses in the run area, forms a hard crust and I have to rototill it every so often. Not sure if I would do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom