EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING CHAT THREAD, w/ Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs

Wow! I forgot what it was like to pick up a chicken that didn't scream.
The only way I can grab one is to pluck it off the roost at night.

I had a dust bath in one of the pens in a big cement mixing tub. But the roof blew off and it has stayed like a frozen mud bath ever since.
Frozen ground with a 1/2" of slip and slide mud on top.
After low 20s tonight, we're warming up for 3 days and then another week of deep freeze.

We're turning to snow tonight and tomorrow, then warm again. Warm being above freezing daytime temp.

It sure is, and the rain did turn to snow. The ground is already covered.
The sporadic but brief warm ups have made it bearable.
A few years ago, we had a deep snow cover most of the winter. Quite unusual for us.
I swore that year I would never have to carry water 3 times a day again. Here I am years later not having the heated/circulated water systems complete yet.

Your weather has probably had the same pattern as mine. Very cold November, fairly mild December and then polar vortex with about three 2 day breaks up into the 50s. One day a couple weeks ago touched 70. 50s today, high 60s tomorrow, then a cold snowy weekend. There's light at the end of the tunnel. Looks like we're only going to hit the teens a couple more nights this year.
On the bright side, the warm ups allowed me to look into the bee hives. Entered the winter with 3 hives. Last check, only one was alive but it was very strong. I'll be slipping a pollen patty in with the 3/4 consumed candy board today.
The two empty hives have lots of frames of drawn comb. I'll be moving them into my chest freezer to hold them for a new nuc and expansion.
You boys need to invest in better deodorant! Poor chickens!
:clap I almost forgot to laugh :gig

Last edited:
I was finally able to feed the chicks without them running away.
950B2115-E43C-44C4-85E7-A5B19C444919.gif

Back
Top Bottom