Egg eating broody

neoweidy

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2023
Good morning I have a broody who has been broody for way too long - she started with another broody who has hatched her eggs - I had been trying to break this broody bc she will only sit in the favorite box - I’ve named her Baracuda bc she is such a pecker when I’m near her nest😂. After she stayed broody for so long I finally just gave up and let her sit- I started feeding her flock grow and giving her water in the box - at this point she’s been broody for over 30 days - this am I went in and she was eating an egg but still sitting . Is it a crazy idea to just go buy some chicks to throw under her or do you think she will eat them?

Welcome to BYC @neoweidy

Glad you could join us all here! I agree with @TwoCrows that she may accept or may not so be prepared. Also if she does not accept them I would make a big effort to break her of the broodiness before it takes too much of a toll on her health.

Good luck and enjoy BYC :frow

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I have a broody hen on the nest now that I know ate an egg. But I also know that egg was unlikely damaged due to a fight between herself and another broody that's been bringing her chick into the area she is setting in.

There's a possibility that Barracuda found that egg to be damaged and took care of it. Has she eaten any other eggs since then? Are the eggs under her developing?
You can certainly graft chicks to her but if she already has developing eggs under her you probably should just go the distance with that.

Back
Top Bottom