Egg gender selection survey

dekel18042 * CherriesBrood - Think we need to start another thread, this one's the survey the others are keeping for their project.
To those of this thread, we apologize and don't mean to hijack it :)

Same eggs
Same incubator
same hatch date
Same project
All should be girl eggs according to shape
The sex of some will be obvious upon hatching, the others I expect to have to wait a bit.

1. How many eggs to choose from for this incubation? 11

2. How many eggs set based on "female profile"? 8 (3 were from a hen that lays rounded eggs only)

3. How many eggs survived to day 18? 4

4. How many chicks hatched? 3

5. Percentage of pullets in this hatch? 1 pullet, 2 cockerels

6. Hatch date? 2nd april 2016

7. Comments: the chicks are from the eggs from a hen that lays rounded eggs only.

1. How many eggs to choose from for this incubation? 9

2. How many eggs set based on "female profile"? 6 (3 were from a hen that lays rounded eggs only)

3. How many eggs survived to day 18? ?

4. How many chicks hatched? 1

5. Percentage of pullets in this hatch? 1 pullet

6. Hatch date? 12th april 2016

7. Comments: 3 eggs got stolen by rats. this chick has been hatched by a muscovie duck.

all the chicks are BCM from the same hen, so percentage is 50:50.

Last edited:
Pointed vs. rounded is completely relative. I have hens that lay strictly round eggs and strictly pointy eggs. As it has been pointed out many times, it's advised to select based on the production of the hen. If the hen lays mostly round eggs, pay attention to slight variations within her own clutch. This is where the call for detailed ratios and measurements come in. There's so much variation if can be hard to tell.

If I took my blue copper maran's near-round eggs and incubated for female, and took my leghorn's pointy slim eggs and incubated for male, NO reasonable data could be drawn form the results. It just takes meticulous attention to detail and good record keeping to officially conclude the result!

This could be like the slow feathering gene. In some breeds and crosses it is a factor to determining sex and in others it is not. It could be possible that some breeds or bloodlines there is a difference and in others it is not. Hence the collection of large and accurate (measurements) data.

I just put 30 eggs in this week. I put a divider down the middle thinking I could put boy measured eggs one side and girl the other. That worked ok for the Barnevelder eggs. I have 6 that measure round or almost and 6 that don't. However the eggs that went in today.... 18 eggs. 2 are for sure longer/thinner, 2 are for sure round and the rest are totally ambiguious. they fit neither category, and are at least 1/4-1/2" different in the two measurements

Actually ended with 35 eggs set

the 4 silkie X Cochin mix eggs were all clears

the 4 legbar eggs 2 were round 2 were long. 3 were male and 1 was clear

the 12 Barnevelder eggs only 1 chick hatched and survived and was from the "boy side" and is indeed a boy

of the 15 Delaware eggs they were all pretty ambiguous in shape 2 are for sure roos, 2 are still ambiguous chicks and 4 are girls

1. How many eggs to choose from for this incubation? 36

2. How many eggs set based on "female profile"? 36

3. How many eggs survived to day 18? 18

4. How many chicks hatched? 9

5. Percentage of pullets in this hatch? 4 pullets, 5 cockerels.

6. Hatch date? April 21

Tried to fit too many eggs in the incubator. And there were some humidity issues with this incubation, hence the very poor hatch rate.

Ok
If this was actually true
Then why wouldent hatcheries use
It so they don't have to deal with roosters
I'm not saying it's true one way or the other, but I could see a few reasons hatcheries wouldn't pursue...

They send the cockerels for meaties. They use them as "packing peanuts". They send them out to zoos, suffocated in a bag, to feed the animals (I used to volunteer at 1). Then what would they do with the eggs, that would create a whole other challenge. And the man hours spent sexing eggs in addition to then having to sex chicks seems counter intuitive.

I usually try to look at both sides of the story and consider why people or businesses do what they do.

I do think this is a great project. I love to see the experimenting. Is anyone using sex link type chicks or auto sexing to get results instantly? Sorry I haven't read the whole thread and now I'm looking for a little instant gratification...
hide.gif

If and WHEN I do incubate I will be trying out this method. I swear I have so many records, I don't know what to do with them all.
idunno.gif

I'm not saying it's true one way or the other, but I could see a few reasons hatcheries wouldn't pursue...

They send the cockerels for meaties. They use them as "packing peanuts". They send them out to zoos, suffocated in a bag, to feed the animals (I used to volunteer at 1). Then what would they do with the eggs, that would create a whole other challenge. And the man hours spent sexing eggs in addition to then having to sex chicks seems counter intuitive.

I usually try to look at both sides of the story and consider why people or businesses do what they do.

I do think this is a great project. I love to see the experimenting. Is anyone using sex link type chicks or auto sexing to get results instantly? Sorry I haven't read the whole thread and now I'm looking for a little instant gratification...
hide.gif

If and WHEN I do incubate I will be trying out this method. I swear I have so many records, I don't know what to do with them all.
idunno.gif
I did one batch of black sexlinks. Rounder eggs did turn out with more females than males. I should be able to do some red sexlinks come September. My last batch of rounder eggs was very heavy on the boys. I think I only have 2, maybe 3 girls out of 10. There are a few that I'm still not sure of at 8 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom