egg is stuck inside skin and is hanging on the hens bottom

hit.gif
i had been reading on the internet about the battery chickens. i have been crying my eyes out
hit.gif
. i would love to get all those hens and bring them here
jumpy.gif
. that is so sad. i am thinking of quit eating meat all together. but what can one mouth do
barnie.gif
? wouldnt they be better chickens if they let them free range. they would have to buy less feed, there probably wouldnt be as many diseases. isnt that animal cruelty
hu.gif
sad.png
??? i could not even read or look at most of it. i didnt want those images in my mind.
hit.gif

I know, i've read about battery chickens and it breaks my heart!! We have to realize that we are doing the best with the chickens we have, at least we've given a few the best life possible. I have also cut down on the anount of meat that i eat, just the thought of what these animals have to go through in their short life span makes me sick!!

the3ofus+oursixchicks :

hit.gif
i had been reading on the internet about the battery chickens. i have been crying my eyes out
hit.gif
. i would love to get all those hens and bring them here
jumpy.gif
. that is so sad. i am thinking of quit eating meat all together. but what can one mouth do
barnie.gif
? wouldnt they be better chickens if they let them free range. they would have to buy less feed, there probably wouldnt be as many diseases. isnt that animal cruelty
hu.gif
sad.png
??? i could not even read or look at most of it. i didnt want those images in my mind.
hit.gif

I haven't read about battery chickens but what changed my mind to switch to "uncaged" chicken eggs was watching an episode of "Dirty Jobs". I can't believe they put those poor chickens in such tiny cages and cutting their upper beak down so they don't peck at each other. SO SAD!
hit.gif
I myself am not for big political type discussions but I too wonder how it is ok to abuse the animals we use for food but not our domestic animals. Seems wierd. Don't get me wrong, I am a meat eater through and through but it does make me wonder why we have to be abusive to the meat we eat.
hmm.png

Last edited:
Um, I hate to say this, but uncaged can mean piled on the floor in the very same building they used to have the cages in, and not any better treatment. Even free range, by legal definition, can be put on eggs that have access to outdoors for a certain time period (very small). If I were you, I would research the legal requirements to put those things on the cartons and make my buying decisions after knowing what they really mean. I think you'll be pretty disgusted at how lame the requirements are.

hugs.gif
Sending you & Rosie loves & prayers. I have just read all the posts from page 1 until present and now I am enthralled. I will be anxiously waiting for more updates.

I have 6 Buffs & 2 RIRs, one of them is a rooster (we think). Each one is a sweetie. (I am a first time chick-mom, got them as day-olds, and I would have never thought that I would have gotten so much enjoyment from having chickens.) They will be ready to start laying around the end of February, so all of the info here has been enlightening.

Quote:
Thanks for the information! I was unaware of that! I now get my eggs from my backyard girls but it is good to know to pass the information on to friends who buy store bought eggs. To me, it seems like your best bet that if you don't have chickens, find someone local to buy from that you can see the living conditions of the hens.

Absolutely. Everyone I know who has read the legal requirements for this phrase on cartons has felt cheated and even kind of betrayed. They really thought it was different. That's not to say that if you put free range on your eggs that you are necessarily doing the minimum; it's just that it's no guarantee that the hens are living a good life. Now that I know my chickens and what great personalities they have, I'll go without eggs before I'll buy some from a grocery store.

the3ofus, how's Rosie today?

Last edited:
big_smile.png
Rosey is having a wonderful day today. She slept in the coop again last night. I let her go around with her friends for bout 45 min. I brought her in she ate 2 different times. I took her back outside round 2:30 little bit before. I plan to let her sleep in the coop again tonight. She is doing so good. I am so glad I didnt listen to the first vet and make a haste decision. I know she isnt out of the woods YET she. She could still possible lay another egg HOPE NOT
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
here is some pic of her outside now and a pic of her bottom. i didnt know if it would be covered with poop all the time or ever be fuzzy again. all that poop that was stuck to kinda the inside of her vent that I could not get off (all of it) is gone and it looks normal. she does have a little on her feathers there. but it looks so good.
87967_rose_003.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom