egg is stuck inside skin and is hanging on the hens bottom

Totally agree Krissteff!!

And I know I said it a few pages back... but I'll say it again... invest in a good reference book for caring for chickens!!! You never know when you're going to find yourself in another real pinch, and your internet could be out... vet not reachable, etc. Plus, the information you'll get from a good reference book is a bit more solid and trustworthy.

Quote:
thanks so much
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
This bears repeating. This forum can be a fantastic resource, but a) it might not be available every time you need it and b) you know what they say about opinions....my point is, YOU need to develop confidence in YOURSELF as a chicken keeper. The only way you can do that is by educating yourself - talk to your vets, ask questions of them, read as much as you can from a variety of sources: books, extension services, etc. That way you'll be able to filter through the opinion and advice you get on forums such as this and make decisions you feel comfortable with. Absolutely seek out advice from other chicken keepers (in real life and online) but know that the level of experience varies widely and what works for one person might not work for you.

yeah i went on ebay and found a book all about chickens. there was so much good advice on here fro rosey. i wanted to try to follow all of it because i knew it would help her. i'm getting there with the confidence
wink.png
just this first go around with the prolapse was a little unnerving at first. but see next time maybe i wont freakout
lol.png

I'd freak out at prolapse as well, totally understandable freak out! But even after you'd been to the vet a couple times, it felt to me as I was reading along that you didn't trust your own judgement and/or needed to ask your vet more questions, but instead were perhaps relying too heavily on BYC for input. Invisible chicken friends can be very helpful (and most certainly have been in this case), but only you and your vet who have actually seen the chicken and really know her can make the final decisions. It felt like you were afraid to make move or decision on your own, and you need to get to a place where you feel confident to do so.

You are doing great, and Rosey is living, breathing, clucking proof of that. Perhaps there is a thread here with good book recommendations, or maybe your vet could recommend one to you.

Quote:
yeah i guess i was so worried if i did something wrong or didnt do something someone told me she would die. i know alot more now. even with the poop being stuck like it was i just decided to leave it alone and let it come off on its own and it did. i still have a lot to learn but i kinda know some about prolapse now.
big_smile.png
i do have a hard time making decisions sometimes
he.gif

Last edited:
rosey had another great day yesterday. i think i have about got her in a rountine. she sleeps with her friends so. i let her stay out for 30 min. to and hour to get her crop full and play a little after being asleep all night. then i bring her in and she eats and drinks some little tlc from me. put her in her box she usually gets on the roost. i go back in later to feed and water and visit once sometimes more. then she gets to go back out around 1:30 or 2 all day then to bed. she is doing pretty good with ti like that. i will be glad when she gets to go back out like normal.

I AM PUTTING THIS IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY I WANT TO SHOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!! LET THE GIRLS OUT OF THE PEN THIS MORNING AS USUAL. WENT OUTSIDE TO BRING ROSEY IN AS USUAL AND SHE WAS IN THE NEST BOX. OF COURSE AT FIRST I THOUGHT OH LORD. ok i will quit shouting now
big_smile.png
then i thought i am going to try to believe if she lays an egg it will come out right. so i went and looked at her and close the door to the coop so she could be alone. came in and talked to the Lord. went back out to check and she was coming out of the coop bright eyed and busy tailed!!!!!!!! went and looked in the nest and there it was her first normal egg!!! i tell you i could have floated on air. i just began to thank the Lord because its all in His hands. now i am wondering if i could leave her out like normal. i plan to call the vet and see. i just wanted to share this with my chicken buds
wee.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif
oh yeah heres the egg
87967_rosey_egg_and_fish_004.jpg
and this is rosey yesterday on her way through the house to go outside isnt she georgeous!!!!
87967_rosey_egg_and_fish_001.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom