Egg production down.. WAY down.

angie3881

Songster
8 Years
Aug 17, 2011
35 minutes south of Kinnick
I went from regularly getting about 12 eggs a day to getting 1 to 3!

Refuse to buy eggs at the store because that's why I have chickens. Shortage of eggs is taking a toll on the family.

I have read all the threads regarding decreased egg production, etc. Still frustrated.

I went out yesterday to the coop and called a department meeting. I explained to my girls that this slacking off was not going to be tolerated and we needed to step up production! Explained that if production didn't improve, pink slips were going out. I have done everything I can to improve their working conditions and make it condusive for good production and it is going to take everyone working together as a team to get back on track!

I think they really listened. I could see their excitement about taking it up a notch. I expect to find several eggs when I arrive home this evening.
roll.png

Mine do the same thing when I start talking to them. They get excited to see me when I come home of an evening and listen when I talk to them, and then erspond with their own squaking. My egg sare down too but my girls are going onto moult.

Are you beginning to see loose feathers all over the place? That's the sure sign of molting.

It's natural for hens at the end of their first lay cycle to take a short break while they recharge.

How old are your birds? What are you feeding them at what protein content? How short are your days now? What's the temperature and weather been like?

A.T. Hagan :

Are you beginning to see loose feathers all over the place? That's the sure sign of molting.

It's natural for hens at the end of their first lay cycle to take a short break while they recharge.

How old are your birds? What are you feeding them at what protein content? How short are your days now? What's the temperature and weather been like?

They are all close to 6 months. I feed them 16% layer (always available), cracked corn and scraps when available. We are at 12 hours sunrise to sunset and it has been 70's to 80's during the day and 50's at night.

Come to think of it, I have noticed some feathers around in larger numbers than usual.​

It seems early for molting. Mine molted after one year of production, more or less coincide with typical schedule. Winter will bring a drop too, but it is not winter, even in your part of the country.

As for molting, some lost feathers and never really grew them all back. Some never really lose much. I guess it is different from breed to breed, even bird to bird.

At 6 months, they are just coming into their maturity in egg laying. Look for other signs, maybe there is an egg burglar.

They aren't old enough for the "egg stopping molt" at 6 months. Omit the cracked corn until mid winter when they can benefit from the extra energy in it. Are they too fat? That will decrease egg production. Do they free range? Check for hidden nests. Egg eater? Increase the protein in their diet and collect eggs often are a couple quick ideas on that one. Rats and others such critters will steal the eggs. Set a trap and see what you get. Game cam? Maybe you can see what is really going on. The question is....Are they laying eggs or what is happening to the eggs? Hummmm! Mystery that needs more info. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

gig.gif
gig.gif

I had that talk with my adult hens last week. Then I told the rooster I didn't care if he had to pull eggs out of his own backend there had *better be eggs the next day. It worked. Try puttin' the fear O' God into the roo lol

Back
Top Bottom