Egg withdrawal

Pics
Soooooo, today when she was getting ready to "pop a squat." Haha! My mom put some food coloring in/around her vent. However! It did not transfer to the egg... So my mom just went for the biggest, warmest, most wet egg. Crossing fingers its the right one. I love spices in my omlet in the morning, but not so sure I want Meloxicam. 🫠
Do you have something like a dog crate available? If someone sees her at the right time tomorrow, they could just pick her up and pop her in the crate for a bit. Once the egg is laid, let the hen out and dispose of the egg.

There would be no question about which egg was hers, but she would not have to be confined for very long either.

Do you have something like a dog crate available? If someone sees her at the right time tomorrow, they could just pick her up and pop her in the crate for a bit. Once the egg is laid, let the hen out and dispose of the egg.

There would be no question about which egg was hers, but she would not have to be confined for very long either.
Need to get a crate! Thanks! Will do/try.

Need to get a crate! Thanks! Will do/try.
As a long-term thing, it is handy to have a wire dog crate or rabbit cage or similar thing. They can be used for transporting chickens, isolating chickens, protecting a new chicken while introducing it to the flock, breaking a broody hen, and many other things.

But for this, idea you can use anything that separates her enough to avoid getting eggs mixed up. She just needs enough space to lay her egg, with enough ventilation she doesn't get too hot. So you could think of anything that would work temporarily. For example, you can put a laundry basket upside down over the hen, with a brick or rock on top so she can't tip it over and get out.

Back
Top Bottom