Eggs are not fertile and I'm frustrated!!

kuchchicks

Songster
9 Years
Apr 8, 2015
So my main Roo is about 2 years old. I have a hen that is the same age that I had been getting all fertile eggs from and hatched several this spring. I now have added some new hens at the beginning of summer that are now about 7 months old, a hen that is about a year, and some that are too young to lay. I also have a polish Roo that is about 7 months old. All of these live in the same coop which is rather roomy. I just placed some eggs about 5 days ago and candled them tonight and am very disappointed. Of the 26 eggs I placed I did not see any with blood vessels. If my pullets are too young for fertile eggs ok...but why then nothing developing with the other ones? I had 10 from my older 2 hens. All eggs were collected over a 5 day period and stored in a cool place. I did everything like I normally do so I am leaning toward eggs not being fertile.

I have 8 hens that are laying right now with 2 Roos. Even if the polish Roo is too young shouldn't the 2 year old Roo be taking care of this? Could the fact that I have about 10 other hens that are too young to lay yet causing the Roo not to do his job?! I'm so frustrated!!!

And I don't think it is too early to see blood vessels because I also have 15 silkies eggs that I got from a friend in the Bator. Most of those had lite blood vessels starting to be formed that I could see.

In my light colored eggs I can see growth as early as day 3/4, so I agree it's not too early. Have you cracked open any of the eggs prior to incubating and checked for fertility that way?

Last edited:
I didn't only because I had a dozen or so I did from my older hen this spring and fertility and hatch rate was 100%. I thought that if nothing else those 5 would at least show something.

Do you think the Roo is just not interested? Could he have lost his fertility already? Like I said even if you don't count my 7 month old polish Roo, I have a 1: 8 Roo to laying hen ratio. I am wondering if the younger hens are throwing things off? But they are only between 12-16 weeks old and not laying yet.

I didn't only because I had a dozen or so I did from my older hen this spring and fertility and hatch rate was 100%. I thought that if nothing else those 5 would at least show something.

Do you think the Roo is just not interested? Could he have lost his fertility already? Like I said even if you don't count my 7 month old polish Roo, I have a 1: 8 Roo to laying hen ratio. I am wondering if the younger hens are throwing things off? But they are only between 12-16 weeks old and not laying yet.
In my bigger coop/pen I have 1 active roo and 9 girls plus the young ones which are somewhere around 13/14 weeks I think and having them in there hasn't thrown off my roo. I would check a couple eggs from each hen and see if that reveals anything.

Cracked a few today. Fertility VERY low. So now what should I do? He's not that old. They are fed well. Good ratio... Ugh! Frustrated!!!

My roosters don't breed as much in July, August and September here in SC. So, when I want to hatch eggs, I have no more than 3-4 hens in the breeding pen with him. And then hope he is interested enough to keep those girls happy. Can you put a box fan in your coop? My hens love their fans.

Last edited:
I can segregate my Roo and hens to another coop and decrease the numbers. What will the box fan so?

Back
Top Bottom