Eggs laid-HELP!!pleasee

Naz3

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 30, 2007
Hi,im very new at this- I have a hen and a rooster which i raised from chicks. The hen has just laid 2 eggs and i have no idea what happens now..please help!!
She is not sitting on the eggs at night..is this normal?
Thanks for any help!

She's not broody... ie. She isn't in the mood to incubate them, so consider the eggs a gift for you!
ya.gif

Usually a hen won't start going broody until she has a few more eggs under her. Either wait for her to accumulate more, or you can trick her by adding some fake eggs.

if she has just started laying.then she isnt broody.she is just roosting in the nest.so id cook the eggs an eat them.

Your hen is young, give her time. She will know when it is time to brood. I would wait about a month to see if she starts brooding. You don't want to waste the eggs, so eat them. But in a couple of weeks put a fake egg (plastic easter egg ot even a golf ball) in the nest. Then when you try to collect the eggs and she is setting, she will give you a little peck to tell you it is time. From there on out she will do all the work. DO NOT disturb her. In three weeks you will have chicks.

thank you all soooo much for your advice!i will follow it and hopefully learn!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom