ELI5 Why do so many ppl treat chickens expendable??

Pics
Those roosts are not adequate. You need 2x4 boards laid flat for them to roost on. And your coop is way too small. For 22 hens your coop needs to be 88 square feet, or 8 x 11 feet, not counting space taken up by nests, feeders or waterers. That's 4 sq. ft. per hen. And that's a minimum.

They are jamming themselves into that little bitty coop becsuse they can't roost on those skinny rods.

Also if anyone knows of an affordable way to help them with laying eggs with stronger shells please share your knowledge.
Oyster shell is pretty cheap.

Pullets and hens are usually good at eating the right amount of oyster shell to meet their own needs, if it is always available to them. So just put out a dish, and make sure it never runs empty.

A plastic cup nailed to a fencepost is one way to keep them from spilling it. If rain can get in, drill a hole in the bottom of the cup to let rainwater run out again. The "cup" can be a re-used container from yoghurt or sour cream or something of the sort.

I am trying to find homes for about 10 of them....All 22 of them cram themselves into that little coop I built for 4.
Rehoming some is a good idea, because you definitely have too many for the current coop.

I've provided roosting poles that many if not all use during the day. Its the weirdest thing to see them cram themselves into that coop it's 52 wide and 28" deep. I would love to know why they do that, anyone? I'm guessing because of them getting going with laying eggs...??

If they use those poles during the day but not at night, it is probably just a matter of habit. Chickens like to sleep where they are used to sleeping.

If you want to force them to sleep in the larger area, close off the small coop for a few nights, and they should change their habits. But if you want them to sleep in the sheltered coop when winter comes, I would not try to change their habit, just rehome the extras as quickly as you can so they are less crowded.

Oyster shell is pretty cheap.

Pullets and hens are usually good at eating the right amount of oyster shell to meet their own needs, if it is always available to them. So just put out a dish, and make sure it never runs empty.

A plastic cup nailed to a fencepost is one way to keep them from spilling it. If rain can get in, drill a hole in the bottom of the cup to let rainwater run out again. The "cup" can be a re-used container from yoghurt or sour cream or something of the sort.

Rehoming some is a good idea, because you definitely have too many for the current coop.

If they use those poles during the day but not at night, it is probably just a matter of habit. Chickens like to sleep where they are used to sleeping.

If you want to force them to sleep in the larger area, close off the small coop for a few nights, and they should change their habits. But if you want them to sleep in the sheltered coop when winter comes, I would not try to change their habit, just rehome the extras as quickly as you can so they are less crowded.
Thank you very much for the info and insight. Have a great week!!

Back
Top Bottom