Emergency problem with my chickens(Warning Extremely graphic photos)

Keep an eye on the others (see if the bad habit has spread - kind of like egg eaters spoiling the flock). If it is just the one girl you'll need to keep her seperated until the others have healed (don't know about successful reintegration, either).

If it is impossible to seperate: Try the pine tar, she'll get tired of that very fast.

Good luck, glad you're making some headway in identifying the problem!

Quote:
Max - don't feel like an idiot. I had a case of feather picking/plucking that I was just SHOCKED to learn about - almost before it was too late. I wrote about it here . I did a great deal of research and learned that feather picking/plucking leads to cannibalism - which is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to cure.

If it's only one chicken doing it, you may need to cull her and end it. If it's more than one, well, you need to identify who all is involved in it, separate them, and deal with it as it comes.

I was never clear about whether you free range all day long? If not, be sure to add things to their run - cut grass, leaves, etc. I bought some Flock Blocks to keep put in the coop and in the run to keep them busy with healthy pecking. As much as I resisted free ranging my chickens, I believe that is what stopped this disturbing habit. I now free range from sun up until sun down.

As for the wounds on the injured chickens - bring them inside, wash their rears, clean them with betadine, and then apply an antibiotic cream. I also sprayed with Blue Kote, but it didn't seem to deter the pecking. I would still do that though, as an extra precaution.

You may be interested in purchasing some Avia Charge 2000 - I've started adding that to their water and although the issue seemed to be ended before I started with the Avia, I would still do it as another added precaution. I am continuing with it just to be sure.

Please keep us posted - and best of luck!

ETA: Baby shampoo, a soft wash cloth, and warm water work GREAT to clean up bloody rears.

Penny

Please keep us posted.

Last edited:
Thanks Penny,

They don’t free range all day, I let them out when I get home from work. I wish I dared let them stay out, but I don’t. I have a pretty big run, but I understand it can still happen. If I lived on a little less busy road, I would do it in a second.

I brought in three of them who still had blood on them. The other two RIR’s didn’t look too bad. They just had some dried scabbing around, but nothing coming out of them. I feel a lot better. The girls I brought in where great, real troopers. I know it had to hurt cause I was pulling on feathers etc. But they seemed to know it was going to help them. I wish I had a picture of one of them, Annie. She’s the sweetest of sweeties anyway. After they were done, I would give them praise and pet them. Annie soaked it in like a dried up potted plant does water. She closed her eyes and clucked softly as I was petting her waddle and scratching behind her head. She was cute.

As far as prevention, I’m a huge fan of overkill. Redundant is my middle name. I have several things going. I envisioned “play land” for chickens this afternoon. Lots of stuff to pick at and play on. We’ll see. Thanks much for yours and everybody else’s help!

Max

hmm maybe when roos go to mate their spurs cut into them???

That happens, but will usually result in somewhat vertical lacerations along flanks.​

My roo's spurs are just little nubs still. He's still kind of learning anyway. He mounted one backwards the other day...
lau.gif

lau.gif
That's funny! Poor guy. I always get embarrassed for my roos when they do something goofy like that - and I try not to laugh where they can see me
big_smile.png

Yes, I've found that filling the coop and run with things to keep them entertained is really important. I believe my issue started with boredom - the run is plenty big, but there was no grass to keep them busy pecking and scratching. We make sure to keep it filled with raked leaves. I really recommend the sunflower oil seeds. Mine love them and will scratch through leaves for hours searching for them. They are high in protein as well. Cut out all other snacks that are not high in protein or natural. Adding supplements won't hurt - and the Avia Charge 2000 is said to help.

You may need to keep the hen you caught in the act separated for a while to see if that is the only offender. If so, I'm not sure you'll be able to re-introduce her (after everyone heals) without having her revert back to that nasty habit. But you could watch her and see if it happens again.

I'm very interested in learning what you do and how it works. Please be sure to keep us posted.

Best of luck, Max!!

Penny

Hmm, what ive learned from a couple posts in a diffrent topic is it must've cut itself some other time and that chicken can peck at the blood and that starts canablism (i spelled it worng) and they keep pecking it unless you stop them.

Hi all, I am completley freaked out. I thought just one of my hens was injured from a fight...isolated her then went out later and three more-it is so sad and gross.
Wish I never got into this in the ifrst place
sad.png

Now I have isolated most of the 8 and am waiting to see what happens. I want to free range but what about our barn cats. How do you keep your cats/hawks from picking them up? Juice

Back
Top Bottom