Emergency: Sick Duck (may have something stuck in throat)

RickyHitch22

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2024
1 yo indian runner/cayauga mix hen named Olive

She started making a sneezy/squeaking sound about 1.5 weeks ago. I then noticed after a few days that she was going into the edge of the woods away from everyone else and was open-mouth breathing. At this point I quarantined her because I didn't want anyone else getting sick. She is in a dog crate in our garage (far away from others). For the first few days she was lethargic and easy to pick up (not normal for her). Not eating and drinking much. Thought she was just sick with some respiratory issue. Started using vetrx on her. Rubbed under wings and on top of head as directions said. Didn't try putting down her throat though. After putting in on she would squeak/sneeze a lot for a good 5 minutes until she settled down.

After a few days in isolation she perked up. Eating and drinking normally. Pooping normally. Much more energy. Preening. Seemingly much better. However, she is still open mouth breathing at times (especially when stressed by people/animals in garage). When she eats/drinks, she squeaks/sneezes and shakes her head. She has never had any sort of discharge from eyes or nose. And no other symptoms besides the open mouth breathing and squeaking.

I am wondering if maybe something is lodged in her throat? I do not have access to a vet so whatever needs done will have to be done at home. I am willing to try anything. She isn't lethargic anymore and has gotten her sassiness back. I don't want to put her back with others though just in case it is something contagious and I know it will stress her out especially if she's not 100%.

My husband will put her down for me if that is what it comes to, but I certainly don't want to do that to a duck who is eating/drinking/sleeping/pooping normally. But I do want to try something to help her breathing/squeaking issue as she cannot live in a dog cage in my garage forever. HELP! Any suggestions on what to try?

Sounds like a respiratory infection. I have runners too and have
respiratory issues with them. She will probably need antibiotics.
You can get Baytril online. I believe you can search this forum for dosage info. Hope this helps!

Sounds like a respiratory infection. I have runners too and have
respiratory issues with them. She will probably need antibiotics.
You can get Baytril online. I believe you can search this forum for dosage info. Hope this helps!
Thank you. I am starting to think the same after reading some other posts on here. Have you ever tried using a vaporizer with F10 SC in it? I found information from majestic waterfowl on this. We are newer to ducks thank chickens (we've had chickens for 6 years and ducks for only 2). This is the first "duck" medical issue we have had so far. Our birds are very much pets, but we don't have any access to a vet, so I end up having to do all medical care myself through online findings and advice. I will look into Baytril.

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

this is dose.
It is given at a dose of 0.05ml per pound of body weight, orally, twice a day for five straight days. If the duck is laying you will want to avoid eating the eggs for a few weeks to eliminate the chance of antibiotic contamination into your system.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

@Jenbirdee had a Runner who came down with Aspergillosis and used Oxine AH and silver in a nebulizer for treatment.

Last edited:
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

this is dose.
It is given at a dose of 0.05ml per pound of body weight, orally, twice a day for five straight days. If the duck is laying you will want to avoid eating the eggs for a few weeks to eliminate the chance of antibiotic contamination into your system.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

@Jenbirdee had a Runner who came down with Aspergillosis and used Oxine AH and silver in a nebulizer for treatment.
I ordered the baytril so I will definitely try that. I am going to try the vaporizer as well. Is it normal that she hasn't laid an egg in 5 days? She wasn't laying daily before getting sick (maybe every 2-3 days), but she hasn't laid any eggs in the 5 days I've had her in isolation.

Thank you. I am starting to think the same after reading some other posts on here. Have you ever tried using a vaporizer with F10 SC in it? I found information from majestic waterfowl on this. We are newer to ducks thank chickens (we've had chickens for 6 years and ducks for only 2). This is the first "duck" medical issue we have had so far. Our birds are very much pets, but we don't have any access to a vet, so I end up having to do all medical care myself through online findings and advice. I will look into Baytril.
Ours are pets too... we're the weirdos who take their ducks to the vet lol. The last time one of our ducks was sick with pneumonia we did use a vaporizer with Oxine AH (also from Majestic Waterfowl info) and it did help get her breathing better. We did it for 30 minutes twice a day in conjunction with oral antibiotics. It did help and after 30 days on antibiotics she's finally well again.

Ours are pets too... we're the weirdos who take their ducks to the vet lol. The last time one of our ducks was sick with pneumonia we did use a vaporizer with Oxine AH (also from Majestic Waterfowl info) and it did help get her breathing better. We did it for 30 minutes twice a day in conjunction with oral antibiotics. It did help and after 30 days on antibiotics she's finally well again.
Is it normal that she hasn't laid an egg in the 5 days she's been in isolation? That's starting to worry me a bit too.

I ordered the baytril so I will definitely try that. I am going to try the vaporizer as well. Is it normal that she hasn't laid an egg in 5 days? She wasn't laying daily before getting sick (maybe every 2-3 days), but she hasn't laid any eggs in the 5 days I've had her in isolation.
When they aren’t feeling well they can stop laying and they also have to take breaks from laying.

I'm second what Miss Lydia said. If they're not feeling well of they are in an unfamiliar/uncomfortable setting they can stop laying

Back
Top Bottom