Escaped pet or wild dove?

TheBirdBabe

Songster
10 Years
Jun 8, 2013
This dove has been sneaking around my chicken coop lately. Today I tried to get a closer look & she ended up going IN the coop!

She let's me get close (doesn't much appreciate me picking her up) which other doves around won't do.. but I think she's mainly looking for food. I caught her because my chickens were being mean to her & currently have her in a small cage. We're in the middle of a terrible drought & if she's been a pet, I would hate for her to have an even harder time trying to find food & water. 😔 She's not fat like the rest of the "normal" doves around.

Attachments

• 20220728_103253.jpg
    20220728_103253.jpg
    751.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 20220728_103149.jpg
    20220728_103149.jpg
    622.1 KB · Views: 7
Are there spotted and white Eurasian collared doves/Ringneck doves in the wild in your area? If not, and wild doves are brown to gray, then this domesticated pied ringneck dove pictured is most likely an escaped pet or breeding bird.
I have NEVER seen a white dove or heck.. any other color besides the "classic" brownish/gray dove around here! I was SO surprised when I saw her that I argued with my husband that it wasn't a dove. 🤣

Ringneck dove (Streptopelia risoria) - Orange Pied. This dove would not survive without care and would probably be caught by a predator due to its distinctive coloration.
Good to know! I thought because it was so bright that it might be a target. I guess it had great luck that I caught it!

Over the weekend I did see that Hawks were attempting to grab it, I tried coaxing it down then.. but no luck.

Beautiful! :love Your profile does not say what area of the world you are in, may I ask in a general way where you found this little beauty?
Texas! 🤠

Unfortunately we're in a severe drought right now. Most of our neighbor's ponds have dried up, all the grass is crispy & it is HOT! I think I was more concerned with her dying from dehydration instead of something getting her.

Back
Top Bottom