Falconry anyone? 🦅

Yes, I plan on keeping a red tailed to begin with. As that’s the only one an apprentice can start out with.
(I wish I were in England though, then I could start with a captive bred peregrine or Harris hawk. :p)
From what I was taught a while ago, a hawk is better to star with. If you screw up, hawks remember you feed them at the end of the day. With a falcon, at the end of the day, they remembered you screwed up. I would say that is fairly true from my experience. I worked with an American kestrel, and when something bad happened, it took a while to regain his trust. I only worked with them once a week, but the red tail was far more trusting.

From what I was taught a while ago, a hawk is better to star with. If you screw up, hawks remember you feed them at the end of the day. With a falcon, at the end of the day, they remembered you screwed up. I would say that is fairly true from my experience. I worked with an American kestrel, and when something bad happened, it took a while to regain his trust. I only worked with them once a week, but the red tail was far more trusting.
That’s remarkable! They don’t call them americas bread and butter for nothing! :lol:

Thank you for that, I love learning new things! :hugs You did falconry at one point? :love

Wow.

Although peregrines will always be my #1 favorite!

Kestrels just aren’t hardy enough for WA weather.

That’s remarkable! They don’t call them americas bread and butter for nothing! :lol:

Thank you for that, I love learning new things! :hugs You did falconry at one point? :love
No I have always wanted too. I volunteered at wildlife center that had non-releasable birds of prey. Most had wing injuries and could not fly anymore. So I got to work with a red-tailled hawk, a couple great horned owl, barred owl, American kestrel, and a saw whet owl. We taught the public about them.

No I have always wanted too. I volunteered at wildlife center that had non-releasable birds of prey. Most had wing injuries and could not fly anymore. So I got to work with a red-tailled hawk, a couple great horned owl, barred owl, American kestrel, and a saw whet owl. We taught the public about them.
Me too. Wow, that sounds fun!

Your work to help them is appreciated, I once rescued a little dark eyed junco.

Back
Top Bottom