Falling Down Heights, my daily life

Today, we're having a TOTAL solar eclipse. Well, in my area it's *near* total, if I lived less than 2 hours south of here, it would be.

What I'm wondering is if it would affect the eyes of my ducks and chickens the same as ours, if they look up at it. Also will it freak them out for it to go totally dark outside in the middle of the day?

The eclipse should start in less than an hour, with full cover around 3:30 EST.
We had a (partial?) eclipse a couple of years ago. I don't remember my birds being bothered by it that much, maybe a little confused, by no eye damage or anything like that. I suppose if you're worried you could lock them up a few hours prior to the eclipse then let them back out afterwards.

We had a (partial?) eclipse a couple of years ago. I don't remember my birds being bothered by it that much, maybe a little confused, by no eye damage or anything like that. I suppose if you're worried you could lock them up a few hours prior to the eclipse then let them back out afterwards.
I'm tempted to go out and watch to see what they do; if the chickens decide it's night time and go to bed, if the ducks decide it's night time and refuse to go to bed. ;)

Good news: I didn't fall!

Bad news: it's cold and raining and it's a wonder I didn't fall with all the water on top of the ice! I also have a headache.

New bunnies are doing well. The little seal-point is quite skittish though. When it gets nicer out there I'll work with her.

Got a duck egg! Yay! That's the third one so far. Probably all from the same quacker. Scovies haven't started yet. I'm eating these ones and checking for fertility, but no bullseye yet.

Going to be an indoor day today.

The ducks didn't even ask if I was okay!
that is so typical :rolleyes:

I'm glad you are though! This will certainly be an interesting thread to follow!

Lets see... Currently, I have:

14 chickens, consisting of:
2 Splash Cochin Banty hens (Salt and Pepper)
1 Silver Duckwing OEGB hen (unknamed)
1 Partridge Silkie roo (BonJovi)
10 BYM (2 roos, Big Red and unnamed Blue Cuckoo, 8 hens of various sizes, most unnamed)

10 domestic ducks
2 Magpies (duck Luna and drake Artemis <my daughters, can you tell?>)
1 Pekin mix drake (Snowball)
2 blue drakes (Smokey and Bandit)
1 Buff Orpington duck (Mochi)
4 BYM ducks (Matcha, Panic, Coco, Smudge)

17 Muscovy, not naming them all and I think I have 7 drakes and 10 ducks, ranging from black, chocolate, blue, and lilac, in various amounts of solid, pied, whitehead, magpie, barred, white chest. Most *do* have names.

8 rabbits (some meat, some pets), with three more coming in tonight

3 cats (Tesla, Skye, Picco)
1 dog (American Foxhound male Taiyo)

All of these are subject to change, lol!
That is a wonderful assortment of critters, especially the muscovy!

Bad news: it's cold and raining and it's a wonder I didn't fall with all the water on top of the ice! I also have a headache.

New bunnies are doing well. The little seal-point is quite skittish though. When it gets nicer out there I'll work with her.

Got a duck egg! Yay! That's the third one so far. Probably all from the same quacker. Scovies haven't started yet. I'm eating these ones and checking for fertility, but no bullseye yet.

Glad the animals are good, get some rest for your headache!

Feel better Chris! Stay inside and warm too! :hugs

I hear you on the Daylight Savings time, absolutely ridiculous, I pray one day governments will wise up and do away with it. It's so unnatural.
The original purpose, if I remember correctly, was so that farmers could work later. Well, why didn't the just get up earlier??! It's not like it changed anything in the long run.

Thankfully, being sorta retired now, I don't have to worry too much about it. Unless I have to go into town for an appointment, things around here just 'go with the flow'.

Back
Top Bottom