Falling Down Heights, my daily life

Eight more eggs in lockdown, 7 pipped. These are from the batch of 'old' eggs.

I noticed bruising at the bottom of one of them a few days ago and made an emergency air hole. That one is now pipping at that hole.

As an aside, ducklings are so messy!!! Then again, so are the goslings (which are now spending most of their days in a pen outside).

The chicks are growing nicely. Too many cockerels in the OEGB batch. Can't really tell with the Chantecler yet. At least I know I have 3 pullets and 1 cockerel for the Brahma, since I was able to purchase those sexed.

Really REALLY need to build the outside pens for all of these babies, but we're now in a heat wave and there's no way I'm spending any time save for the necessary outdoors.

Four babies hatched this morning! All scovies, which is disappointing as I would have liked more quackers. The smallest of the eggs which I'd given up on actually was one of the new hatches, and is barred. Also helped the wrong-ender finish pushing out.

Four more eggs to go in this batch, with four others still turning.

Should have babies in the nests soon. I forgot to mark the calendar as to when I gave the broody chicken some eggs, so no idea when they would be hatching. I haven't had any luck with the eggs from that layer (my only blue egg layer) making it to hatching although they do start developing, but candling through those blue shells is difficult so don't know if they are still good.

Oh, and when I saw that hen off the nest I went to check the eggs only to find my tiny OEGB hen having taken over sitting duty! :lau

So seven new ducklings yesterday. I think the eighth egg is DIS. :( Four more to go but they won't be for at least another week.

Heat and humidity continuing. Today's high is in the low 30s, but humidity is at 86% right now and just sticking my nose outside results in me needing to change my sweat-soaked clothes! Friday, temps drop back down and we should get rain.

Just had to separate the Brahma chicks from the Chantecler, as they were being picked on.

Was looking at the OEGB, and I think I lucked out with the Red Pyle, with 1 cockerel and 4 pullets. The Lemon Blue on the other hand... 3 cockerels and 2 pullets. Worse part is one of them is Splash, because they do not breed true (like most blues). One of the reasons I dislike this gene so much in chickens.

Six of the seven that hatched yesterday:

20240618_102024.jpg

Just had to separate the Brahma chicks from the Chantecler, as they were being picked on.

Was looking at the OEGB, and I think I lucked out with the Red Pyle, with 1 cockerel and 4 pullets. The Lemon Blue on the other hand... 3 cockerels and 2 pullets. Worse part is one of them is Splash, because they do not breed true (like most blues). One of the reasons I dislike this gene so much in chickens.
You could always keep a splash and a black So they produce only blues

And also my 'new' dog. Named her Tsuki (because I didn't like her previous name). She was my youngest daughter's, but she wasn't taking care of her so I 'rescued' her when she left her behind here.

20240619_125453.jpg

20240619_125339.jpg

No, she's not a Dingo, lol! She's a German Shepherd / Labrador mix. I'm renaming her Tsuki (which means Moon), to go with my other dog Taiyo, which is Sun.

Back
Top Bottom