Farming and Homesteading Heritage Poultry

Pics
Just wanted to post what huge success we've had selling our heritage birds to our local feed store. We have Dominiques. Next year we're also going to offer sex linked EEs (with our Doms giving us the sex-linking barring)... but that's another story.

It's been a total feeding frenzy. The just want pullets, but perhaps other feed stores would be open to straight run if the price was right. The good thing about these heritage DP breeds is even the cockerels have good value as more and more people are wanting to have grass fed heritage meat animals to grow at home. Realistically, the heritage DP birds cost the same or less if they are primarily grass fed as the commercial cornish Xs do. I've got a tractor full of Dom cockerels in my back yard - in town! My yard looks better every week, the weeds can't survive the combination of the chicks grazing and the digging and the higher acidity caused by their urates. I love it!

I never thought you could raise so many birds on such a small space, but I really am doing it right here in the middle of town! All our adult birds are at my partner Rhonda's, but all the chicks are here at my house, and after about 3 weeks the Doms go outside (still with a heat lamp at night) and the feed usage goes way way down. They are out of the tractor most of the day as well, so I don't have to move it every single day. In fact, it seems like if I let them overgraze an area a little it kills more weeds and the grass comes back stronger than ever within a week.

We sell the extra cockerels at poultry swaps. We have spent around $90 total in chick feed this year hatching and selling well over 300 chicks. We have gotten well over $1 per chick, but you can see how even at $1 per chick we would be covering our feed expenses and then some. We usually get $5-$15 per chick, depending on age.

It's been a hectic spring, but it's all worth it knowing that our community will get to know this wonderful, healthy breed!

well my idea for my flock is to have a few different breeds of chickens i want to try to keep it to around 30 to 40 chickens at all times that way we have eggs and some meat chickens im running my first batch of eggs in my incubator now they are just a farm yard mix of mutt eggs just to see if i like doing it and so far im haveing fun with it the wifes enjoying doing it and the grand kids think its neat we showed our 6 year old grandson the baby chicks inside the eggs last night when we candled them he cant wait till they hatch next weekend but we are giving these chicks to our grand kids after they come out of the brooder but so far we are likeing the barred rocks the australorps and jersey giants thinking about adding some whiterocks and some other breeds we want to see what will work out up here in maine we get long cold winters our summers arent that hot we are trying for the bigger breeds in hopeing that they can handle the cold better and that they will dress out at a good size we need something that will dress out a good size for a meal for 2 plus we never know whos going to show up for a bbq or fried chicken dinner we love stews and roasted chicken also just that with so many heritage breeds out its hard to just stick to only one but we have decided that the bigger ones are the ones we want

That sounds very similar to the plan I have. My first hatch of barnyard mix will be mostly freezer campers, however my neighbors want some good layers. I have Welsummers, Ameraucana, Jersey Giants, Barred Rock, Buff Orp, Speckled Suss, and a few egg layers. I really like the wellies best, good size and very large eggs but as this is beginning my second year with chickens my mind may still change.
By early fall I should be ready to cull and keep only my best and biggest. BYC has been great for information, and this thread especially. Thanks to all of the experts sharing, and the newbies for asking questions I didn't think of!

Ive got 13 Speckled Sussex eggs in the incubator along with 7 Delawares. I hope I can get them to hatch. I bought one of those dang LG incubator and it is the biggest piece of crap I've ever bought compared to ANYTHING I have ever owned in my life. I ordered and will receive a new incubator on Tues or Wed. I'm working hard 24 hours a day to keep my eggs alive until that thing gets here. But if they do survive I will have 2 great heritage breeds to work with.
smile.png

Quote:
I hate to say this but you live and learn. I've been there and if there's anything from my experiences that I've learn, its that cheap or used is not always best. Incubators are just one of them things that you pay for if you want to sleep good at night.

Quote:
I hate to say this but you live and learn. I've been there and if there's anything from my experiences that I've learn, its that cheap or used is not always best. Incubators are just one of them things that you pay for if you want to sleep good at night.

Amen to that Skyline! I found out the hard way, yet perhaps it won't be a total failure. Be sure to let me know when you are ready to start selling some of your birds or eggs next year. I will probably have to get something from you.
smile.png

It took 3 weeks, but I finally read through this entire thread. I wanted to say thank you to all who have contributed to this thread. It is the most valuable thread I have read on BYC yet (been lurking for 18 months!).

I've decided I'd really like to do a single-breed, closed flock and would love to use Delawares. But it seems that Delawares are very far from their original heritage lines. Please PM me if anyone has a contact for quality heritage Delaware hatching eggs or day old chicks. I hope to start my new flock this winter or next spring.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Quote:
Killed another of these game stags yesterday at 20 weeks of age. The dressed carcass was 3 pounds 2 ounces. The bird in the post I'm quoting; I think, had some RIR blood in there somewhere. I know that the folks raising batches of cornish crosses to eat would be appalled. I'm a little bit appalled myself but I'm going to enjoy my fifty dollar chicken dinner tonight. : )

Quote:
Killed another of these game stags yesterday at 20 weeks of age. The dressed carcass was 3 pounds 2 ounces. The bird in the post I'm quoting; I think, had some RIR blood in there somewhere. I know that the folks raising batches of cornish crosses to eat would be appalled. I'm a little bit appalled myself but I'm going to enjoy my fifty dollar chicken dinner tonight. : )

Seems like butchering them at 10 to 14 weeks would be the best for feed conversion. I raise Dels and I always butcher the littlest ones first as they never catch up then @18+ weeks I have some really nice roasters I sell the excess ones when they are @ 6 to 7lbs which is after 16 weeks.

Quote:

Last year we killed and ate some excess Cubalaya cockerels-they were over 20 weeks, maybe close to 22 weeks, and only dressed out at 1-1/2 -2 pounds. To be fair,I am still working on size in my birds, and, this is a very slow growing breed, but, it gives some idea of working with rare, old heritage breeds-nothing like cornish crosses!! I am amazed honestly at your results with the games! Wow!! I personally just won't raise the cornish crosses for a whole series of reasons. Finally,I guesstimate it costs me something like $7 in feed to get most of my birds to butcher age-not a $50 chicken dinner, but, it would take 5-6 of those $7 cockerels to equal one cornish cross in weight, so, it may not be that far off if you consider the total weights. I'm still sticking with the old breeds, regardless.

Back
Top Bottom