Faverolles Thread

I've heard from a judge/breeder of about 40 years that if you use Frontline it works on everything topical including the leg mites.

Same Frontline that we use on the cats?
I don't know that I have any "pest" problems but I do have Frontline so, just in case
wink.png

Bruce

Yeah, pretty much the same Frontline I think....

You think you don't have a pest problem? I didn't think I did either - until it happened.....
sickbyc.gif
I was in the coop one day, forgot what I was doing, but I leaned forward and my bangs brushed the roosting bar on accident......it was disgusting. I could feel the little critters crawling down my face
sickbyc.gif
I stopped and stared carefully at the bar and I could see the tiniest little things running around... I immediately tore everything out of the coop, cleaned it, dusted everything with poultry dust and put fresh shavings in. - Now, I do that on a semi-regular basis (6x yearly), plus dusting the birds (I never feel like I do a good enough job of it!) It's a lot of work.

Plus, for worms.... I forget how it goes, but I think if your birds are penned you treat for round worms and if you free range, you treat for tape worms - I think is what I've read. I treat for all worms, 2x yearly rotating between meds to prevent parasites building tolerance to it.

Have fun with that!
wink.png

Just put 4 white and 4 Salmon Faverolle eggs in the incubator! Can't wait! First eggs of the year!

I had some questions on worming! I've been looking into it and have been meaning to do so but I was unsure what to get. Just wondering what everyone recommends or prefers!

Thanks, Daniel

I am going to use some frontline. Just put a dab on the back of each birds neck and then another on the tail. Make sure it gets directly on the skin. Those were the instructions I got at least.

Last edited:
Just put 4 white and 4 Salmon Faverolle eggs in the incubator! Can't wait! First eggs of the year!

I had some questions on worming! I've been looking into it and have been meaning to do so but I was unsure what to get. Just wondering what everyone recommends or prefers!

Thanks, Daniel
Daniel glad to hear your starting to incubate some. Is the pullet you got laying yet? Will the white eggs be salmon white X's? I am going to wait for a while to hatch as I have limited space and its still so darn cold. Don't really want to have many chicks in the house. Maybe in late February or march.

Last edited:
I sent a mix of blue and black. I know he used a big black male and possibly a blue to cross into his line for confirmation and size. I can't remember. It would be nice to know what their lineage is though. That makes you, thechickenonthehill, and me that have Dicks stock. Margaret Hamilton has mine as do I. And Jeanine is making her own line right?? What is she using to make them? Do you know?
This is nice for You to bring this up so it can be clear, especially since i would LOVE to have some of Yours too regardless. I have never formerly spoken with Dick and have dealt directly with Keesmom since i have the ones that she had minus the ones lost in the mail that were to go to Jeanine. I do not have age information on this group or know if they have the blue factor or just black. I don't know if Dick has blacks anymore, I have seen 2 pics posted dated Dec. 2012, that showed a Black, Salmon and a few beautiful Mahoganies, but could have been taken much earlier.

Yes, Jeanine decided to begin her own LF line after it being so hard to come across the blacks and losing the 2 black hens ( and Dicks last whites) from Dick from keesmom in the mail. I am sorry i do not know how she is going about it. She does have a few bantam Blacks. I haven't seen her on this thread for awhile.

For those of You not familiar re the postal loss.....Am not sure what was finally determined, but we think that they were sent at the same time with a shipment of dry ice. All the birds died but one white fav. hen. My group was sent later and greatfully came alive.

Last edited:
Somewhere on another list i read that you can dip the legs in cooking oil for leg mites and it suffocates them. Doesn't look pretty for awhile... and certainly not for those who show.....but non toxic. I've tried it and it worked for me.

Yeah, pretty much the same Frontline I think....

You think you don't have a pest problem? I didn't think I did either - until it happened.....
sickbyc.gif
I was in the coop one day, forgot what I was doing, but I leaned forward and my bangs brushed the roosting bar on accident......it was disgusting. I could feel the little critters crawling down my face
sickbyc.gif
I stopped and stared carefully at the bar and I could see the tiniest little things running around... I immediately tore everything out of the coop, cleaned it, dusted everything with poultry dust and put fresh shavings in. - Now, I do that on a semi-regular basis (6x yearly), plus dusting the birds (I never feel like I do a good enough job of it!) It's a lot of work.
Henry seems to have the same info I do about what and where. As for the mites and lice the easiest thing I found after struggling with all the dust and what not (I got both at about the same time when a new bird came in with BOTH-- nasty little biters) is that using the Ivermectin pour on worked and was fast. I put a drop under each wing and legs and one on the tail if I was really paranoid which I was a few times for some birds. If its a crested breed put a drop up there too. Then treat again in about 100-14 days. Its fast acting and gets out of their systems. Frontline lasts longer. Vaseline and other suffocating oils will work on leg mites. You also have to clean the coop thoroughly. Hay and what not out and like N8ivetxn says you should treat your roost bars with oil or bleach or something. Or just replace it. Lime the areas well, DE too if you want, and then be vigilant. These mites used to bite me. The lice were just plain gross but they didn't bite me. The mites did and they looked like black versions of the Red Spider Mite. Gack is right!

Somewhere on another list i read that you can dip the legs in cooking oil for leg mites and it suffocates them. Doesn't look pretty for awhile... and certainly not for those who show.....but non toxic. I've tried it and it worked for me.

I've used Pam cooking spray before with good results. Easy to get it up under the leg scales.

Back
Top Bottom