Faverolles Thread

"Know next to nothing" me says pullet top and obviously handsome cockerel bottom. I have another way of guaging this that is working really well even with tough breeds like my RO... I am looking for (what I call) the spur bud in the leg. I believe (and this is just my working theory so far) that you can see it very early. Look on the inner shank for it.

"Know next to nothing" me says pullet top and obviously handsome cockerel bottom.  I have another way of guaging this that is working really well even with tough breeds like my RO... I am looking for (what I call) the spur bud in the leg.  I believe (and this is just my working theory so far) that you can see it very early.  Look on the inner shank for it.

Lol good luck I haven't seen or felt one on any of my birds before at least eight weeks.

"Know next to nothing" me says pullet top and obviously handsome cockerel bottom.  I have another way of guaging this that is working really well even with tough breeds like my RO... I am looking for (what I call) the spur bud in the leg.  I believe (and this is just my working theory so far) that you can see it very early.  Look on the inner shank for it.

Lol good luck I haven't seen or felt one on any of my birds before at least eight weeks.

Ok, I would love some comments.
These chicks are the same age. The first picture is of a chick I assumed was a cockerel. The 2nd picture is OBVIOUSLY a cockerel. He is the only chick that looks like that.
Is picture 1 still a cockerel? Or did I end up with a ton of pullets (
wee.gif
) or are the rest of the cockerels (3 that look like picture 1) just growing in different than picture 2? Why such a HUGE difference?

Oh, hah! Guess actually posting the pictures would help!
50F6D989-0D13-45EE-A2A1-080C335AC84E-3673-000004A7F68915E7.jpg

DBC89F87-364F-45AF-9CA1-353A37B74A90-3673-000004A800DAA20A.jpg
Wow, are you sure they are the same age? If so you have one fast feathering male there. All of mine are slower than the pullets. I think the first is still a cockerel, but you'll know for sure when feathers appear on the chest.

They are for sure the same age. I only hatched one batch out so far. He had more feathers than even the for certain pullets.
Thanks for the input. I though they had too dark wing color, but after seeing him feather explode, I had to wonder!!!

They are for sure the same age. I only hatched one batch out so far. He had more feathers than even the for certain pullets.
Thanks for the input. I though they had too dark wing color, but after seeing him feather explode, I had to wonder!!!
If you can keep roosters than hold onto this male to see how he matures. He may be a keeper.

I am planning on keeping them all, yes. I just am not good at not knowing what they are lol.
Good to know about the cockerel. I was surprised how quickly he feathered

One of my hens from Cloverleaf eggs last year just went broody. She is sitting on a big bunch of eggs. Rooster is from a Merlin egg hatched by Chickonthehill. They have had some pretty chicks this spring.

Last edited:
Just had to share a photo. This is one of the 12 week old chicks we got two weeks ago. Up till we got them they only saw humans when their food was changed so were not very tame at all.

Now look at them!

So far this breed is everything I'd hoped for :)

Back
Top Bottom