Favorite knives for killing/butchering

HillCountryMomma

Songster
11 Years
Mar 16, 2008
My husband and I have really been debating what kind of knife would be 'the best' for the killing cut (we've decided that slitting the throat is our prefered method of killing) and then butchering.

We've gotten the job done, but feel that there's room for improvment when it comes to the tools we're using.

We live very rural, not too many options for shopping besides Wal-Mart and I haven't been impressed with their knife selection.

I hesitate to buy online without product plugs from 'real' people. That and I honestly just don't know exactly what I want yet in a knife. I have found that for gutting I like a fairly short, sharp and sturdy knife. I'm still debating what is best for quartering (a big butcher knife?), and we need a better knife for the killing cut (been using a shop box cutter razor).

If y'all could share with me what you use and why you like it I sure would appreciate it!

Liz

Liz I hope you get some good answers. DH and I butchered a duck yesterday and he commented that he'd like a really good knife for doing the deed. My next question was "I wonder what the best kind of knife is and what brand"

I like the knives Dexter-Russell puts out. I have the 8 inch Sani-safe knife. I use it almost everyday. I wish I had a whole set of these knives but since they are for the food service industry they are terribly expensive. If you get one never lay it in your dish water where you can't see it. It is so sharp when you reach in there wrong it will lay your hand open. I guess you can guess how I figured that out. lol

Hands down the best knives for butchering are Forcshner, most butcher shops use and what i did was ask my butcher if I could order some from him and he agreed, they are expensive, but they hold a good edge. I use mine for everything from throat slitting (on chickens) and as a cleaver for separating the neck and head.

I generally resharpen mine every few chickens just to ensure that I have a sharp sharp edge for a quick, clean kill.

You really need to handle the knife. See how it fits your hand and how it balances. You also should get a knife that is easy to sharpen and is fairly stiff. Don't get one too small or too big. If your knife is substantial you can lever through the joints when you don't hit them just right.

The knife I use is a Chicago Cutlery 61S boning knife that I also use for deer. It looks kind of like a filet knife but it has a thicker blade. I'm not selling this, it was the easiest and best photo I could find. I got mine at an outlet store.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Chicago...20639QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

I used my Wustof knives, sharpened with an electric knife sharpener, and they were GREAT! Our friend, who is an outdoorsman/ hunter, brought his, in case mine did not work, but mine were sharper, and more comfortable, since I use them everyday....

Nancy

I worked my way through college working at UCD Veterinary Pathology. We necropsied every type of large and small domestic, and many types of wild animals that you could think of ( from a mouse and bat to a leapard and a killer whale). We mostly used the Farberware Special Stainless boning knife ( from putting an animal down to skinning , gutting, etc), slicers, cleavers, etc. I ordered a set including a hand held round sharpening stone and finishing steel for myself and have used the same ones every day for the last 39 years at our ranch. (I used to be able to butcher a 1000 lb. steer from standing to 2 hanging halves into a cooler in about an hour by myself in my college days[ a lamb in 1/2 hour]). Practice makes perfect !

Back
Top Bottom