feather feet broody

Freebie

Songster
12 Years
Feb 4, 2007
Bloomingdale, MI
Do you need to cut off the feet feathers of a broody hen? I have a Millie Fluer that I think is going broody, and was thinking of letting her hatch out some of the standard eggs, but read somewhere that you need to cut the feathers off the feet or they will knock the eggs out of the nest. Has anyone had any experience with this?

I figured I would put 5 eggs with her sometime this week if she does stay on the eggs. I took them yesterday. I have a large dog crate that I am not using right now and thought I would just make her a little nest in there and see what happens.

no you dont have to trim a broody featherfooted hens feathers.just put her on some eggs an let her set.

Thanks, I stilll have not decided if I will let her set or not. I guess it depends if she is sitting again when I let them out this afternoon. I wait till 3 or 4 or I have eggs all over the hay loft. And I don't fit up there so well

Well, I am thinking she is not going broody after all. Tonight she came out of the coop when I let everyone out. But she went in early and was sitting on the "community nest" So I got two eggs from the other nest and just let her be... I then put down fresh water and food. She stayed right there and I did not bother to check under her. The others came in and started eating so she got up to eat. I will see where she is in the morning. I have never seen any of them in either of their favorite nest early in the morning. I have the dog crate ready just in case.

So what do you think? Is she thinking about going broody? Is it a gradual thing or do they just sit and never get up?

im not sure yet.if she sets on the comunity nest for a wk.an she pecks you as you get eggs.then theres a pretty good chance she is broody.

I had to work late tonight so I did not get down to the barn till after dark. Since it has been cold out I have been giving them extra treats at night. Tonight it was hardboiled eggs. and even though everyone was settled in for the night, I threw in some eggs for them. Everyone got up to get some except for her. she was in the nest and that is where she stayed. I did not go in and bother her, I thought I would wait one more day and try tomorrow. Should I go in during daylight, or after dark. After dark she should be more mellow and I want to see her attitude during daylight right?

check her during the day an see if she is sitting on the nest.it sounds like she is broody.

Well, neither of them had a fit today when I went down and took eggs. but I left them some to sit on anyway. It seems like my buff orphington has to sit in the nest too. I tried to move just one egg and the bantam to the very next nest and she just kept trying to go over to the "sitting" nest and take it from the buff. Then the bantam got down and had a bite to eat. She left for about 3 minutes, then back up she went. they kind of chatter back and forth but I think would be happier if the other one would stay out of "her" nest.

Well, today we went down and both the bantam and my buff orphington were sitting on the same nest, together. It is quite a site to see them trying to sit together. I really think the bantam is above the buff in the pecking order, so unless she get up, the buff is in the front of the nest, and then tonight the bantam pecked the buff in the head till she got out of the nest. Do you think I should separate them from each other? I really only have space for one solitary confinement right now. I have a big dog crate I was going to use for the bantam, but that was before buffy decided to hang out with her.

Back
Top Bottom